Run/Pen roofing material

Sammster

Crowing
Jul 31, 2021
SE Michigan
I'm trying to decide on roofing material for the chicken run. We are adding to our existing, pre-fab run, which has a tarp-style roof. The addition does not come with a cover. Ideally, I'd like to cover the whole run, extention and all, in one roof.

Initially, I considered PVC panels, but customer reviews complain that it crumbles, quickly. That will not do. However I read a thread here that said metal roofing, though durable, can retain too much heat. I live in Michigan, and we have relatively few days of 100° heat - but they do happen. I do have a powerful, outdoor fan in the run that I use when it's hot out. I also have a misting-sprinkler I use when I think it's warranted. I could use some input, here.

Ideally, I'd like to cover the whole run, extention and all, in one roof.
Would help to see your coop/run, in order to make a viable suggestion.
Is this just for shade or for rain/snow too?

I also have a misting-sprinkler
Misting doesn't do much in our humid environment.

IMG_2667.JPG

I used polycarbonate for the roof of part of my run. That stuff isn't cheap, but it's designed for use in green houses, so it's held up to the sunlight without getting brittle. This particular kind is 83% light transmission, but it can get pretty hot under there.

In a few weeks, I'll hang some kind of light block fabric to help cool it off.

I use landscape fabric for shade Spring through Fall. Rain drips through, but much of it sheds off. Then, I swap out for plastic sheets in the winter.

My neighbor passed on some free metal roofing to me. So, I use that for a section of it now year round.

IMG_20210713_181751_268.jpg

IMG_20240319_101051_055.jpg

Last edited:
I live in Texas and have a metal roof on my run and it does not retain heat. When I go out to do chicken chores it is much nicer under there, much like standing in the shade under a tree.

Back
Top Bottom