Run question

LoriCx3sons

Chirping
May 11, 2022
We have an attached run and am working on building a larger one. We put down a lot of shavings as the grass is gone and we were trying to make it decent for the chicks. Yesterday we had a thunderstorm that soaked all the shavings. Is it imperative to continuously change these out? Or is it fine to let them be as long as the bedding in the coop is dry? We were going to instill the deep litter method but we were unsure if this could be used with a run. Our present coop is ok for the chicks but has a removable tray so unsure if this would work.

Yesterday we had a thunderstorm that soaked all the shavings. Is it imperative to continuously change these out?
It depends....they should dry back out.
Are there puddles in the run, or does it drain well?
Yes, you can do deep litter in a run.

Post some pics of your coop and run.

Welcome to BYC! Where, in general, are you? Climate matters, especially when it comes to housing.

Outside in the run things get wet and then they dry out and then they get wet and then they dry out. As long as you don't have standing water or constant mud this is the normal cycle and doesn't cause any problems.

Photos of your setup will help us give better advice.

Also, here is my article on Deep Bedding: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

As long as you're upgrading your run, why not consider covering it so the rain won't soak the substrate and the chickens? A little moisture is necessary for deep litter, but too much is going to be unpleasant.

How is the drainage to handle runoff around the run?

What is your location and climate?

I would try to get something a bit heartier for outside. I'm a fan of woodchips - as they get soaked or pushed into the mud, just add more on top.

As long as you're upgrading your run, why not consider covering it so the rain won't soak the substrate and the chickens? A little moisture is necessary for deep litter, but too much is going to be unpleasant.

So, the rain blew in from the side and drenched the run. There is hardware cloth all around the run that’s there at this time.

Drainage is good. Live in NE TN

It depends....they should dry back out.
Are there puddles in the run, or does it drain well?
Yes, you can do deep litter in a run.

Post some pics of your coop and run.
The first one is what I currently have. The second is the additional run in progress.

Attachments

• 7E05B8C7-6BDE-4846-8655-F689D1DD3316.jpeg
    7E05B8C7-6BDE-4846-8655-F689D1DD3316.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • DA40A7C9-59BB-4AF1-BD5C-D26BCC9D4F71.jpeg
    DA40A7C9-59BB-4AF1-BD5C-D26BCC9D4F71.jpeg
    901.7 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom