Run: Sand too cold?

Apr 5, 2022
NW WA
Good morning!
Our temps are going to drop in the next week and I’m winterizing the coop and run.
All Summer our ladies have enjoyed their dirt run, but with the rain and now cold I want something different. If I put sand in the run will it get too cold for their feet over Winter? If I topped it with some alfalfa would that help? Are there better options for the ground covering? I have a roof on the run now but the sides are still open, so when it is raining and windy it will get damp, and since it’s the PNW during Autumn and Winter, it’s not going to dry out quickly!
Also, does anyone with Orpingtons in the PNW find it necessary to wrap the sides of their run? Or will they be fine? They do have a very roomy, insulated and ventilated coop to go into if they need to.

Thanks for feedback/tips!

I'm in your climate, I have Orpington's and other breeds and my soil is pure sand. It doesn't make cold feet but it can still make mud if all you have is a thin layer on dirt.. The best fix for mud is a thick layer of wood chips. And if you did wrap one side to slow down sideways rain it'd be that much dryer so that's never a bad idea. I'm assuming they don't get out to free range so that's why I say just one side instead being completely covered. As far as alfalfa goes I add alfalfa around my nest boxes because they like to eat it but when it's wet in the run it's just gross. I'm on Mt. Hood but cold feet is just not a concern, that's for Alaska. Since your Run is covered you don't even need to make a pathway through snow like I do. They always choose the coop when we have to much snow over my pathway's though.

I'm in your climate, I have Orpington's and other breeds and my soil is pure sand. It doesn't make cold feet but it can still make mud if all you have is a thin layer on dirt.. The best fix for mud is a thick layer of wood chips. And if you did wrap one side to slow down sideways rain it'd be that much dryer so that's never a bad idea. I'm assuming they don't get out to free range so that's why I say just one side instead being completely covered. As far as alfalfa goes I add alfalfa around my nest boxes because they like to eat it but when it's wet in the run it's just gross. I'm on Mt. Hood but cold feet is just not a concern, that's for Alaska. Since your Run is covered you don't even need to make a pathway through snow like I do. They always choose the coop when we have to much snow over my pathway's though.
Will the chips mold? They free range under supervision but otherwise they’re in the run. Is there a better side of the run to wrap? Wrapping material? This is our first winter so any and all tips from someone in our climate is more than appreciated! TY for the tips above!

Also, how cold do you let your coop get before being concerned? It’s insulated and they have roosting bars but..for example tonight it’s 40 something in there. No drafts but wondering if I need to close up some of the ventilation to keep it warmer.

No way, you want to leave as much ventilation open as possible.
Does it ever even get below freezing there?
Yes it will get below freezing. NW WA state gets cold. It was 36 this morning when I woke up so it was colder the through the night. Highs will be low 40s and lows will be 30s this week and next…

And with wind chills it can also get colder. I just want to be proactive and keep them safe and warm!
Wind chills only count if the wind hits the birds. ;)

It stays below freezing for days on end here.
I close the windows down low in winter but have open soffits all year.

Post pics of your coop, inside and out, for some advice on ventilation.

Also, how cold do you let your coop get before being concerned? It’s insulated and they have roosting bars but..for example tonight it’s 40 something in there. No drafts but wondering if I need to close up some of the ventilation to keep it warmer.
Like you I have really good insulation in my coop. So I never provide additional heat. I'm not sure what my cut-off temp would be. Being from Alaska I do have a temp that I'd provide heat at, maybe -30. Here however, it just doesn't get that cold and thier body heat, given the insulated coop keeps them warm enough. Last year we had nighttime temps close to *15 and they were fine. I DO reduce the ventilation a little bit, making sure they still have good ventilation air flow over head but not losing important heat to too many vent spots. On the flip side the insulation keeps it nice and cool in summer temps but that stretch of 100+ we had summer before last, I kept fans on.

Back
Top Bottom