Run separated, ready for flock integration!

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
Spent this morning getting the Run ready to add the 3 6-week old chicks to my small flock of 3 2-year olds. I'm happy with how it turned out. Let me know your thoughts. Anything I missed? I still need to add a waterer about feeder to the Little's side.

1st pic - whole coop/run
2nd pic - Big's side...they'll have normal access to their storage coop and nest boxes and pop door out to yard.
3rd pic - Little's side...I have an Omlet Go coop for them until they are ready to move into the main coop with Bigs. Also a pop door out to the side 'patio' which is only partially secure. I'll let them out there when they are a bit bigger and I can supervise.

Added roost perches to both sides. Temp fence panels in between that's about 4' high.

Last question...how long do you think we will need to continue this see-no-touch separation for?

My Bigs do free-range in the yard most of the day. But I won't let the Littles out until I feel comfortable they know their home (run/coop) and when they will come to me on command haha

Attachments

• 20230513_133653.jpg
    20230513_133653.jpg
    743.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230513_133633.jpg
    20230513_133633.jpg
    710.9 KB · Views: 20
Nice. Are you sure the little ones can't squirt out through the openings in the separator fence? (I have the same temporary fencing behind the house, but it's hot and I don't want to go out and measure it!)

Plan on 1-2 weeks see but no touch. Time it takes really depends on your adult flock. Ideally you want to see them mostly lose interest in the chicks before you let them mingle.

I find that young ones don't want to come when called for quite a while. :) I integrate mine with the adults first, then start giving them the option to come out at maybe 8 weeks or so. They learn from the adults who come running for treats that following along also yields treats from them.

Actually it will be best if the littles can slip through the fence. They can venture out on their terms, and escape to safety if it is too scary.

I like some clutter in my run, especially when you are adding birds, some mini walls, pallets up on blocks, wind protection can make it much more interesting for your chickens.

Nice. Are you sure the little ones can't squirt out through the openings in the separator fence? (I have the same temporary fencing behind the house, but it's hot and I don't want to go out and measure it!)

Plan on 1-2 weeks see but no touch. Time it takes really depends on your adult flock. Ideally you want to see them mostly lose interest in the chicks before you let them mingle.

I find that young ones don't want to come when called for quite a while. :) I integrate mine with the adults first, then start giving them the option to come out at maybe 8 weeks or so. They learn from the adults who come running for treats that following along also yields treats from them.
I've been taking the Littles outside in a pop-up pen in the backyard and for the most part the Bigs aren't too interested. So I've done a soft start already!

Fence panels spacing is 2"x4". They definitely can't get through but can stick there heads through. They'll learn pretty quick not to do that probably!

Good to know my Littles aren't the only ones that don't immediately come to me. The Bigs do so that'll be good if they follow!

Actually it will be best if the littles can slip through the fence. They can venture out on their terms, and escape to safety if it is too scary.

I like some clutter in my run, especially when you are adding birds, some mini walls, pallets up on blocks, wind protection can make it much more interesting for your chickens.
Hmm...I could create a small gap Between the adjoining fence panels if I wanted. It's a good thought!

Yes I need to add clutter when I remove the separation fence!

As long as they can get through cleanly, yes. I have a chain link fence separating the halves of my run and find that chicks up to around 6, 7 weeks can squirt under. But once they no longer fit so easily, I kick a lot more litter under there to discourage them from trying to use that as a pass through, so no one gets stuck.

First flaw encountered...my little EE 'Finn' (who you see on my lap) jumped right on up to the top of the 4' fence! So I extended the height with some long bamboo stakes and plastic fencing material I had around. Problem solved!

Let's see what else comes up.

Right now Littles spending all day in their section. Bigs out free ranging and hardly come back into Run during the day anyhow so there hasn't been much "see"/"look" yet.

Attachments

• 20230516_190115.jpg
    20230516_190115.jpg
    636.1 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom