Run size for 12 to 16 chickens?

gapeach717

Songster
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
North, ga
Really working hard on my coopaloop ideas and I am stuck with the run. I like the A frames, I like the kennels, I like almost everything....my question is, (and please no square feet, I am no good at that math, lol) is, how big does a humane run need to be for a flock or twelve to sixteen chickens? I figure by the time my chicken math is done in the room I have at this kind of house, I will end up with that many laying hens once the Roos have been found and rehomed and replacements brought in. So, for a humane open space run/pen, how big should it be? HxWxL?

Thank you so much in advance!!

Pics welcomed!!!

You are going to want something like 12x14 for 16 chickens unless you are going to let free roam also.

Theynwill likely get some free roam time here and there since we just made the pallet fence I posted on here yesterday, but will be in their run and coop plenty too. So 12 to 16 feet long by how high? I have seen some tiny short runs that are like 2 feet tall on here with chickens in it and to me that looks cramped and kinda cruel but I also have a slightly limited yard space. I just want to be sure they have enough room to be happy. :)

Don't they need to stretch their wings a bit more than that? I am new but want to be sure I have happy birds, lol, happy birds I hope give happy eggs! ;)

We have 12 chicks and we are in the process of finishing up our coop. The run will be built next weekend. We are doing a 12x16x6 covered run and then a very large open top fence surrounding the coop and the run so they can do a little more free ranging with out getting into the street or our neighbors yards( they will go in the open top fenced area only while being supervised because we do have owls and hawks and every other known preditor to chickens coming through our yard).

I have 8 chicks and 1 Roo chick now and I am making a 3x5 coop with a run that is 12x12 and is 6 ft high. I would say you would need a bigger one than that 15x15 at the smallest. BUT I am new also lol

I am kinda going through the Math thing also and how many I want to get and how I wanna plan this out for cost issues. I think I wanna do around 12 chickens, not too sure if I want to do regular sized or Bantams. I wanna do EE's and RIR... weather they are bantams or Regular sized im not sure yet! This is what I am thinking and you can let me know I wanna build a coop about 2-3 feet off the ground and i'm thinking of doing an 8x8x4-5 coop and then a 10x8x6 run my question is should I add on the 10 feet or add on 8 and have the room under the coop also be included? tell me what you think, this is kinda big for a guy with a heart problem and disabled but gives me something to do and keeps me productive!

Back
Top Bottom