Run size or Possibly Free Range???

big_smile.png
Chickens are definately the better buy!!! Maybe I'll suck up a little to dh, and get my fencing for a divider..... promise him some huntin' gear, or a new shiney tool!!!

I find it interesting that people seem surprised by the idea of rotational grazing for chickens. Don't other people do this? It's basically what people are doing with chicken tractors...

I had planned all along to have a large area around my hen house(100'x100') that would be sectioned off into about four different areas. Each area would be planted with a mixture of things ranging from grasses and clover, to seed producing plants and herbs more natural to our area. The wild stuff growing in my yard are what the Prairie Chickens are eating right now.

I have too many childhood memories of the dirty chicken run to make that mistake myself. Its rotational or nothing.

Quote:
Thanks Bee! But I make no claim to making up that idea. I read it in Storey's Guide to Chickens.

I am on self sufficient but I haven't visited in a long time. Maybe I'll pop over there here and again.

Quote:
You are right! If I had them confined to a large pen, this would be a great idea, for sure! I plan to implement some rotational grazing of my new lambs this spring on my acre+, to get more use out of the available space. Unless I got a big supply of electric poultry netting, this wouldn't work for my chickens. I am, however, going to filter them into the neighbor's pasture this spring in garden season, so they won't have to be penned into the chicken run.

Back
Top Bottom