Run size to save lawn

ksguy

Songster
Jun 9, 2015
Kansas
Hi, I've got 10 chicks that I'm building a run for. How many square feet of run do you think I need to have in order to keep them from turning the ground into a dusty field? Or is that just a dream unless I'm free ranging?

Are you moving it everyday or is it a permanent structure? If you don't move it everyday no matter how big it is, the part closest to food, water and the coop will be dust or clay. They are creatures of habit and go to the same spots and do the same things daily. Even with daily moving, one of them will become an expert at making a spot for a good dust bath. We move daily over pasture (sometimes twice daily) and they root out little holes in the grass to be big enough for all of ten to dust bathe in! It grows back quickly since they only use it once and we move them but something to think about. The ones we let free range go to the same spots and trample down like small plants/flowers and dust bathe in the same areas etc.

Permanent structure attached to the coop, which is a converted 8x12 garden shed. My original plan was around 350 square feet, but I hadn't really done the math on materials
ep.gif
to build something that big that's as secure as it should be. Now I'm leaning towards a smaller secure run, maybe 150 square feet, and perhaps later on getting some electric netting for a much larger range when we're able to let them out. Sounds like either way, the mower won't be working as hard.

I read somewhere that you need about 100 sq. ft. per chicken to have half a chance of having some grass left. I have no idea where that number came from or if it means anything. Of course, that depends also on water, soil, climate. My grandmother always had about 20-25 chickens in a very large pen, maybe 100 x 100, and they always had grass. We had to mow periodically. Rotating them to different pens is another option.

Yep, the cost of the wire really adds up!
They don't really eat much grass, they prefer soft weeds, clover, little bugs, etc. so you probably will still have to mow. And if you are prone to dry weather, I really recommend watering the area they are in or the grass wil become overwhelmed by the nitrogen in the poo and fry. What really makes the clay runs is when you have heavy rain, then the chickens tear everything up then it fully dries out. The ground just can't recover after that happens a few times in a row with no rest. I think it's possible to keep your grass with the right management technique for the grass. Some people put wire over the ground so the chickens can't scratch the crown of the grass up.

Back
Top Bottom