Run size

From a cost perspective, my birds range about 4.5 acres (you can see my flock in the sig below, usually runs 50-55 birds), of which about 1.5 acres is pasture of biodiverse polycrop (which is to say its been seeded with anything and everything I can get to grow on my property, not toxic to chickens or goats, which requires little care on my part). It saves me 20-25% on my feed bill.

Did you reference something for ideas for your biodiverse polycrop or is that result of trial an error? We're in completely different planting zones ... but I'd be really curious to know what you include in that!

Last edited:
I charge $3 a dozen, that covers my feed and any extras..ie pine shavings,oyster shell, grit. My 6 ladies have a little over 24sqft a piece in their run and they range our acre after I get home from work for a few hours and most of the day on weekends
I used to let mine free range supervised when I got home from work. But went inside for 20 minutes and looked out my window when I was inside and lost a hen to a fox. No more legit free range anymore unfortunately. That was at 3:30 in the afternoon at that. 😑

"Free Ranging" isn't defined in the US based on square footage - and the definition that is Congressionally authorized is not what people think of, when they imagine "Free Ranging". Nor is "Pasture Fed". I wouldn't worry so much about the labels, and would recommend only that you provide them as much room as you reasonably can.

From a cost perspective, my birds range about 4.5 acres (you can see my flock in the sig below, usually runs 50-55 birds), of which about 1.5 acres is pasture of biodiverse polycrop (which is to say its been seeded with anything and everything I can get to grow on my property, not toxic to chickens or goats, which requires little care on my part). It saves me 20-25% on my feed bill.

As to the feed bill itself? I buy in (small) bulk, pay cash for the discount, 500# at a time. Assuming prices have increased for the sixth time in the last 12 months, I expect to pay about $115 after tax, or around $0.23 a pound. My break even on eggs, without cartons, is right around $5/30 eggs or $2.50 a dozen (licensing costs are a substantial part of that). While I am "underpriced" compared to almost everywhere in the country, I have a decided lack of customers for lots of reasons unrelated to egg size, quality, or freshness.

You probably want to go back and double check both your math, and your assumptions, on that break even price. It seems very low.
I know I don't break even 100%. Also I don't "sell" them so to speak lol(bad choice of verbiage on my part). I give them the coworkers and family. They ask if I want anything and I tell them exactly this, "$1 per dozen if you feel so obligated. That will help me recover some cost of feed." Before I lost a hen to a fox I was getting a dozen a day 6-7 days a week and people at my job were eating it up! Some buying 4 dozen at a clip! With that said the feed I was getting actually just jumped 30 cents in cost from 14.99 to 15.29 for 50 pounds. Which I was buying 150 pounds in about a month to month and a half. What helps me is everyone that gets eggs from me also saves cartons for me to help me keep costs low. Some people that get eggs from me to actually give me more than I tell them too(some give me 2/dz and some 3/dz). My wife was actually the one that wanted the chickens. Then I started to enjoy the challenge and the birds themselves. I'm mostly getting rid of them so cheap because SO MANY people in my area have chickens and sell their excess eggs. Plus we have a major local egg producer literally 1000 yards south east of me. So my area can get them nearly as fresh as small hobby farming. I just dont want dozens upon dozens of eggs on my kitchen counter 😂.

Back
Top Bottom