Run sizes

northcoaster

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 10, 2008
Ohio
I see that there are alot of differant sizes of runs, why is it that some are just on the bottom of the coop? Is it because those move? Do the chickens get enough running around in those?

Not that I'm an expert...but from reading alot on this site...you need to have anywhere from 4 to 10 square feet per chicken in the run. The more the better. And if you can let them free range for any length of time during the day, that's even better. Does that help? Anyone else, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Those are considered Tractors or Arks because the coops/run do get moved around. How often these mobile coops get moved depends on the person, available yard space, etc..

We used to move ours about every 2 weeks to fresh grass but we had a wreck back in February and neither one of us was capable of moving it since then. The frame of ours is made of 2 x 4's and it's too heavy for me to move at all. Plus, the next area that it will get moved to is being used, by me, as a "work station" to get coop/run #4 put together right now.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

The coops that have the run on the bottom are tractor coops, they are designed to be moved, so the chickens can always have fresh grass under them, or so they don't over eat one area...or just for a change of scenery.

As long as the under coop run is large enough they should have no trouble. The chickens don't really need to much head room while in the run, since they are to busy eating tasty goodness off the ground.

I think mine is 12 x 10 and I can only move the sucker once a year if that because it is sooo heavy. We have to move it the old fashion way with logs under it and we roll it to a new site. Hear is a picture of mine.
050708_1418.jpg

Back
Top Bottom