Run to Outdoor Brooder Conversion -- Rush Job

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
As noted on other threads, my New Arrivals came with a coop of their own but I put together other Temporary Accommodations, leaving the 4x8 "coop" to convert to a walk-in brooder for the chicks I'm expecting next Friday. The friend who gave it to me said it had been the run they used on their original coop before they built the huge fenced enclosure and they'd used it as an auxiliary coop since then.

After pulling off some beat up tarps and plastic I took off the metal side panels and removed the roost structure that was perfectly fine for what it was but which would be in my way using it as a brooder. That leaves me with a roofed box, 50" wide, 51" tall, and 8 feet long that is covered in chicken wire.

0513211632_HDR.jpg

One end has an odd window in it:

0513211633.jpg

The other end has a door.

0513211633a.jpg

Poking around in our scrap, I found a 20-foot piece of 48" hardware cloth -- which will wrap the two long sides and the window end -- but which isn't *quite* tall enough to go all the way from top to bottom. I also have plenty of 12 or 14" scrap pieces of hardware cloth that will serve as at least a minimal anti-dig apron and which will cover the two sides next to the door.

The problem here being the door itself (which also needs a more secure latch.

Before I found the big piece of hardware cloth (I knew I had the 12" pieces), I was thinking of covering the sides with this salvaged metal roofing that isn't sturdy enough to be an actual roof.

0513211656.jpg

I don't know if covering the door with that stuff is a good idea or not. I don't know if there is a means of seaming the narrow pieces of hardware cloth safely without having to invest in those special clips for making cages and the tool to fasten them.

We have a moderate amount of scrap metal siding, some of which is, at 6" wide, about the right size to fill the gap between the size of the structure and the height of the wire -- a solid bottom would be handy to keep bedding in anyway. I have no clue how to fasten wire to metal siding.

0513211658.jpg
0513211659_HDR.jpg

I would also like to put a pop door on the window end so I could let the little ones into a larger run as they grow and/or use for other purposes in conjunction with my electric net later on but I don't know how to rig that on such a lightly-build structure (all 2x2's). I can add that later if I have to.

Once all the wire is attached we'll cover most of it with tarps temporarily in order to use it as a brooder.

DH can't give me much help with this because he's working hard on the new coop so I have to keep it very simple. :)

PS -- Just before I hit "Post Thread" I thought that I might improve my comfort level in there by setting it up on a couple layers of concrete blocks. I am pretty sure we've got enough to go around once. Even those few inches will improve things and they'd nicely weigh down the inner edge of the anti-dig apron.

All feedback and ideas welcome!

Much progress made!

All awnings are on, I made a protected opening for the extension cord, put down the anti-dig skirting, put in some hooks for the heat lamp, and hung/tested said lamp.

0519211937.jpg

0519211937_HDR.jpg
The awnings on the long side are the same green siding as the bottom skirt but hung inside out so I could use the bump as a flange.

0519211947.jpg

I cut out a 2-square x 4-square section of wire -- the smallest hole I could get the end of the extension cord through -- and wrapped it carefully with black tape to protect the cord.

0519211947a.jpg

It's not the world's greatest anti-dig skirt, but better than nothing. (Yes, it was almost dark when I got that part done).

0519212046.jpg

0519212046a.jpg

I forgot to take a specific picture, but I repurposed the old, swivel board door latch to close up the hole for the cord. I haven't figured out how to secure it so that I can twist it when I want to twist it but a raccoon can't. Still, if nothing else it keeps the cord from rubbing on even taped wire edges.

0519212016b.jpg

At 60 degrees ambient the 100w bulb held 90F with the thermometer on cold ground.

Tomorrow I'll bed the ground with shavings over straw, add the equipment, and run the 150w bulb overnight to get everything warm and toasty for the babies' arrival on Friday.

The 15yo and I wrapped 3 sides in hardware cloth this afternoon after I got home from work. Hard enough work that it justifies canned chili for dinner.

I couldn't do more because our oldest son has the metal shears and the good wire cutters and because I'm almost out of fender washers.

0515211639.jpg

0515211641a.jpg

This gap at the bottom due to the structure being 4'3" and the hardware cloth being 4' even will be covered with scraps of metal siding (again, after the metal shears come home):
0515211641b.jpg

We need to install a vertical support in the center of this end so I will have something to screw both the hardware cloth and the metal to.
0515211639a.jpg

Bottle caps work pretty good, I used a roofing nail to make holes.

These bottle cap washers and drywall screws have been up for 6 years.
Also shows how I made an awning.
(clamps are temporary..really)
View attachment 2676034

We went to Lowes yesterday and I got enough fender washers for this and whatever other small hardware cloth job might come up next (30 washers cost half as much as 100 washers so we bought 100).

The big problem I'm finding with this 2x2 construction is having nothing to fasten anything to -- not to mention the continual "If I had designed this from the start I could have ...." issues.

And it's done!

It's on the flattest ground in the yard with minimal ground-contact issues so I used bricks inside to block up these little cracks.

0520211835.jpg

Then I bedded it with straw for direct ground contact, shavings on top of that, and paper towels for the first couple days.

0520211939.jpg

I put the 150w bulb in and it held a steady 95 on a brick directly underneath it at about 68-70 degrees ambient. I lowered the chain and am waiting for it to stabilize so I can see what the temperature about 10-12" from directly under the light is.

0520211959a.jpg

(The brick isn't permanent, just my proxy for the height of a chick's back. :)

I'm going to run it all night to make sure everything is nice and warm for chicks who should arrive at the post office on the 7am truck.

Back
Top Bottom