Run wall question

Sefirothe

On A Clucking Adventure
Premium Feather Member
Feb 1, 2023
Scranton, PA
We are starting to finalize our coop/run plans. I've already seen two LARGE raccoons sniffing around the temporary grow out pen the girls are in at the moment so predator proofing is a high priority.

I was thinking of putting these metal panels framed in 2x4's around the entire lower walls of the run with hardware cloth on the upper portions. Meant to look something like this pic below (not my coop but a pic I found on the internet and am using as inspiration).

Any reasons why I shouldn't?

CV Coop.jpg

Having the 1/2" HC all the way down and spread out 18-24" across the ground and pinned with HD landscape staples on the furthest edge for a predator apron would be better IMO. My coop/run is constructed this way. If you have metal panels at the bottom it will make it feel much more blocked in.

predator apron.jpg
finished coop and run.jpg

Having the 1/2" HC all the way down and spread out 18-24" across the ground and pinned with HD landscape staples on the furthest edge for a predator apron would be better IMO. My coop/run is constructed this way. If you have metal panels at the bottom it will make it feel much more blocked in.

View attachment 3574017View attachment 3574018
Yes, there will definitely be an apron regardless. Either on top of the ground or buried if the backhoe will fire up and run long enough to dig some trenches.

I just like the look of the solid wall on the bottom of the run, plus it seems like to me it will help block drafts and drifting snow in the winter (the run will also be roofed) plus better predator proofing.

Yes, there will definitely be an apron regardless. Either on top of the ground or buried if the backhoe will fire up and run long enough to dig some trenches.

I just like the look of the solid wall on the bottom of the run, plus it seems like to me it will help block drafts and drifting snow in the winter (the run will also be roofed) plus better predator proofing.
I can see the wind block and drifting snow benefits, as we have year round wind and have snow drifts. What about doing the panels on the side(s) with prevalent winds. Then leave the panels off other sides, so the chickens can still see out?

I'm in the HC all the way to the bottom, camp. Gals would appreciate being able to see out. Cheap, clear shower curtains work well during the winter to keep out drifting snow, but still let light in. You could also make removable frames with plexiglass for the winter.

We got some crazy sustained winds with the crazy cold weather last winter. This summer my neighbor stumbled into some free metal roofing panels and gave me a bunch. I'll be building some small wind shelters as well as making sure I'm ready to add some metal panels in the winter. I want them to not be completely shielded from the outside world, but be able to get away as they prefer.

So, I'd consider having a protected corner or space of some sort.

It will also permanently block the chickens view out.
I have never had drifting snow in my run other than a few inches along the edges.
We live nearly at the top of a mountain, but with not a lot of windbreak trees around our own property. It rains sideways here more often than not.

We got some crazy sustained winds with the crazy cold weather last winter. This summer my neighbor stumbled into some free metal roofing panels and gave me a bunch. I'll be building some small wind shelters as well as making sure I'm ready to add some metal panels in the winter. I want them to not be completely shielded from the outside world, but be able to get away as they prefer.

So, I'd consider having a protected corner or space of some sort.
Hmm... maybe put the panels on the side that's facing the worst wind and towards the house (where I'd see it most). The whole back wall could stay hardware cloth.

I'd also put some roosts up high so the girls could still see out thru the hardware cloth if desired.

Back
Top Bottom