~Run With The Pack~ Wolf Story

Chapter 5

Cedar gnawed on a rabbit's leg, chewing the last few scraps of meat. The Darkpack dens were very active today. There was news of Senkah, the Stonepack alpha female, attacking Atra last night at the border. Atra had been wounded, and Luna, her daughter, was out stirring trouble and collecting bits of information.

Atra had formed a plan last night and shared it with River. There was much speculation, though no one but the alphas knew for sure what it was. Cedar herself was curious, but didn't let it occupy her mind too much.

"Hey, Cedar," Fox greeted her, carrying a squirrel. She settled down to eat it beside her packmate. Cedar wouldn't call Fox her friend, necessarily... nobody was really Fox's friend. She didn't like pretty much anyone. But, they did hunt together, so Cedar figured she was ahead of the game there.

Cedar murmured a greeting back, but didn't really talk. She took the bones of the rabbit out of the densite, and buried them, before coming back in.

"Cedar!"

Cedar jumped, whirling around as she heard Atra bark her name. "Yes, Atra?" she asked a bit tentatively. Atra's temper was unpredictable, and after the fight with Senkah, she was especially irritable.

"In my den." Atra's voice was cold.

Biting her lip, Cedar followed the alpha into her den. Did I do something wrong? There was a slight scent of wolf blood in here; Cedar guessed it was from her wounds this morning. Atra took a seat on her mossy nest, curling her tail around her paws.

The alpha's den was much nicer than the other dens; it was a small cave, made out of small boulders on the inside walls. Moss grew on the walls and boulders, and the floor's soil was softened by all the times it had been walked on. Atra and River's nests were made out of tender moss, feathers, and dried grass. It was very different than the regular dens; they were like large holes in the ground, with rocks and logs around the entrance.

"Cedar." Atra's voice broke Cedar out of her thoughts on the alpha's den. "I'm sure you've heard all kinds of rumors around camp about my plan."

"Yes..." Cedar listened.

"It is time to execute the first part of it," Atra said. "You've proved your loyalty to me. And now, I have a job for you."

"What is it?" Cedar felt a bit of excitement in her belly.

"I want you to go to Stonepack," Atra began, "and act like you are being chased and fearing for your life. Then, when Senkah and Hades question you, tell them that you overheard my plan, and that I said you couldn't live after hearing it. When they ask what it was, tell them that first, we would start by targeting Emeraldpack first, luring away their packmates that are loyal to them now. Then, I would attack with Darkpack, drive out Pinepack, and take their land. After that, I would kill Senkah myself."

Cedar nodded, listening to each detail closely. "Is this the real plan?" she asked tentatively.

"No, stupid! It wouldn't work anyway!" Atra barked, making Cedar flinch, before she quickly simmered down. "The idea is to make them believe false information, so they won't be prepared when we attack. You'll stay there until we attack when we're strong enough." Cedar nodded. "Remember!" Atra went on, "you're not really joining Stonepack. Don't get attached to anyone. We're going to be destroying them within the next couple moons or so."

"Yes, Atra." Cedar nodded vigorously. "When do I go?"

"Now."

Cedar nodded, rising to her paws. She turned and pelted out of the den, dashing through Darkpack territory and towards the mountains.

It took a while, but eventually she reached the Darkpack-Stonepack border. Remembering what Atra told her, she bristled her fur and tilted her head back, sending an urgent howl. She waited for a wolf to come by, glancing into the trees every now and then. What if I should just run? she thought, this is very dangerous... What if they see through the lies and I get caught? Will they kill me?

She was jolted out of her thoughts as the sound of thrumming pawsteps echoed through the trees. A gray furred she-wolf with steel blue eyes was coming. "What are you doing?" she barked, as her hackles began to prickle.

Cedar instantly lowered herself to the ground, tucking her tail and acting submissive. "Please don't hurt me!" she cried. She must've sounded genuine, as the she-wolf's gaze softened just a tad. "My pack hates me and they're trying to kill me!"

The she-wolf bit her lip. "I'll-I'll go get my alphas." She turned and pelted back into the woods.

Once she was gone, Cedar stood back up, a bit curious. Perfect, she thought. She waited again, watching her breath billow out of her nose in small puffs of fog. The air was filled with sound as birds sang their morning songs. It was a cold morning; Cedar hoped that the she-wolf would return with Senkah and Hades soon, as she was longing to be in a warm den. She took a tentative step over the border, when she felt a wolf crash into her. She yelped, tucking her tail between her legs and crouching on the ground in front of it.

She looked up and saw four wolves; the one she had crashed into was a large black she-wolf, with sapphire blue eyes. Beside her was a large, hard muscled brown he-wolf, with brown eyes, brown fur, and a white underside. The third one was another large gray he-wolf with a white underside, and hints of red along the tips of his ears and the edge of his pelt and tail. Blood was matted in his pelt; he'd obviously been in a recent battle, probably the one that had happened in the loner lands last night. Cedar recognized the last one as the she-wolf who had found her. "I hate my pack and they're trying to kill me," she whimpered. The gray he-wolf licked some blood off his paw.

"Who are you?" the black she-wolf demanded.

It didn't take long for Cedar to recognize that this was Senkah. She wondered which of the two males were Hades. "C-Cedar," she stuttered, sounding genuine, "Atra keeps talking about killing Emeraldpack but I don't know anything, honest!"

"And how do we know you aren't just some spy?" the brown he-wolf growled, his muscles rippling under his pelt. Senkah nodded in agreement, her lips curling in ever so slightly.

The gray he-wolf looked at Cedar, then to the two wolves who appeared to be the alphas. "It's true, 'bout Atra," he said quietly. The brown he-wolf flicked an ear to let him know that he heard him.

Cedar trembled, I knew coming here was a bad idea! What if they kill me? Then running won't even matter! "They're trying to find me!" she yelped, "I heard Atra talking about her plan to target Emeraldpack and she said that I couldn't live after hearing it." She was scared; not about what they thought she was scared about, but that this would fail and she would be caught.

The brown he-wolf, whom Cedar was now pretty sure was Hades, opened his mouth to bark something, but Senkah angled her tail in front of him to stop him. Her stone cold blue eyes bore into Cedar's, and Cedar trembled even more. Please don't kill me..!

"Come back with me to our dens," she said finally. "I have some questions to ask you, but not out in the open like this."

Cedar nodded, inwardly sighing in relief. She rose a bit, but kept low to the ground, not wanting to anger the alphas. She could already tell by the tension between the wolves that she was on thin ice as it was, and one wrong move could spell disaster for the mission... and her life. If she got out of here alive, she'd have to face Atra and River's wrath, and that was the very thing that most Darkpack wolves feared the most.

Senkah turned around and padded through the forest, with Hades, Aki, and Zero by her side. Once they reached the dens, Senkah padded into the alpha's den and went inside. Hades stood at the entrance, eyeing Cedar distrustfully. "Come inside," Senkah called to Cedar.

Cedar hesitated for less than a second, then went in. She swallowed uncomfortably as Hades sat outside, trapping her in. If she wanted to run, she would be stuck.

Cedar looked around at Senkah's den. Senkah motioned for Cedar to sit down, and she obeyed. "Now Cedar," Senkah said, her voice serious, "I need you to tell me everything that you heard."

"Atra..." Cedar recalled what Atra had told her to say that morning, "she said they were going to target Emeraldpack first, that they were slowly going to lure in the packmates who are loyal to them now. Then she was going to attack with-with Darkpack, kill Pinepack, and take their land. She said...she said she was going to kill you herself."

Senkah's eyes were grave as she listened, "thank you for telling me this, Cedar." She motioned for Hades to come in, and she whispered to him what Cedar had just told her. "We must warn the other packs."

Cedar nodded, inwardly grateful that they'd fallen for it. "Atra said she was going to...to make sure you saw all your friends die first. If she's going to attack you last, that means you'll have time to prepare."

"You're welcome to stay here with us." Cedar looked up in surprise. She hadn't expected Stonepack to be this friendly with her. Senkah gave a reassuring smile when Cedar looked up. "Zero will show you where the dens are."

Cedar nodded, glancing around to see where Zero was, "Who... who's Zero?"

"One of the packmates," Senkah replied. "She's outside." Cedar nodded again and padded out of the den.

Zero happened to be the gray she-wolf who had found her earlier. She dipped her head in greeting when she came out. "This way," she said, padding towards the dens. "There's a vacant den over there."

Cedar followed her, Senkah's nice for letting me stay here, she thought. She turned her head as she saw a brown, golden eyed wolf padding over to them.

"Who's this?" she asked Zero curiously, but looked at Cedar with a bit of wariness.

"Her name's Cedar," Zero explained, "Senkah accepted her in."

"Oh," she nodded. She smiled at Cedar. "My name's Quartz. Welcome to Stonepack."

"Thank you," Cedar smiled back.

"There are a few vacant dens over there too," Zero said, pointing at a group of empty dens with her nose.

"Okay," Cedar said, walking over to one.

"Let me know if you need anything," Zero smiled.

Cedar nodded, watching as Zero went to go hunting with Quartz. She felt a small twinge of guilt within her; Stonepack was being so kind and welcoming to her, and her job was to help find a way to kill them all. But she wouldn't be sympathetic. No, she had a job to do, and she would complete it. She was Darkpack.

Wow awesome! I like writing, but I couldn't write that good a story!!
smile.png

Chapter 6

"Faedon?"

Faedon was jolted awake from her peaceful sleep at her mother's bark. She jumped to her feet, "yes, mother?" She shook bits of moss and feathers out of her pelt.

"In my den." Senkah's voice was tense and urgent. Faedon rose to her paws, quickly making her way across the densite and going into the alpha's den. Her mother was waiting for her, while her father was heading out to go hunting with Aki and Quartz.

"What is it?" Faedon asked her mother a bit cautiously. Not much concerned her mother, and whatever it was that she was about to tell Faedon, it wasn't good.

Senkah lowered her voice to make sure there were no eavesdroppers. "Zero found a loner running from Darkpack at the border earlier this morning."

Faedon furrowed her brows. "So? How do we know she wasn't a spy?"

Senkah sighed. "We don't. But Hades and I talked earlier, and we've concluded that we'd be taking a bigger chance by throwing this loner out, who has just as much of a chance of being a spy as she might be telling the truth."

"Well then, why don't we send a spy to Darkpack, see if she speaks the truth?" Faedon asked. "I'd do it." Faedon was a die hard thrill seeker, and she had no shame in admitting it. She lived for adventure.

"No. It's much too dangerous," Senkah countered. "If this wolf is a spy, Darkpack is going to find it awfully questionable if a wolf claiming to come from Stonepack comes to join them."

"But they don't know I'm from Stonepack," Faedon argued. "I can just rub off my scent in the river."

"Believe me, you're my daughter. If anyone outside this pack knows me, it's Atra, and she'd recognize you in a heartbeat. You don't know if they've seen you in the loner lands or not, either. Besides," Senkah licked her daughter's ear lovingly, "I don't want to put you in unnecessary danger."

Faedon shifted away when Senkah licked her ear. "Mom, I'm not a pup anymore," she grumbled. She knew that she had a point about Atra, though. "Anyways. What did the loner say?"

"She said that Atra and River were planning on targeting Emeraldpack first by luring away packmates that were loyal to them now. Then, they would attack with Darkpack, drive out Pinepack, and take their land. After that, they would take us on." Senkah left out the part about making sure that Senkah got to watch her friends and family die, before Atra would kill her herself.

Faedon bit her lip. "This ah, this isn't good."

"I know. That's why I need you to go and warn the Emeraldpack alphas. They're going to be targeted first, so they need to be warned as soon as possible."

Faedon nodded, and rose to her paws. She hopped out of the alpha's den, weaving around Stonepack's den and almost appearing as a blur as she raced away towards Emeraldpack's territory. She bounded over fallen trees, logs, and a stream. At last she reached the border, and she skidded to a halt, panting. Should I cross? What if... Swallowing to stop her troubling thoughts, she placed a hesitant paw over the border, before resuming her sprint. She howled as she ran to alert the Emeraldpack wolves of her presence.

She nearly tripped as a lithe, light gray she-wolf leaped into her path, snarling. "Why are you here?" she snarled.

Faedon recognized her as Lark, the Emeraldpack beta. "I bring an urgent message from Senkah!" she yelped, but refused to submit. She saw Storm, the alpha male, limp out of his den. A light growl rose in his throat as he stumbled along on the ground. He has a broken leg, she noted in her mind. Aki told me he was in that battle with Ameroq and Darkpack about a week ago. Ouch, that has to hurt. I don't know how I'd do it, having a broken leg. I'd be miserable not being able to run through the forests and mountains!

"What is it?" Storm growled at Faedon.

Lark turned to him, "she says that she needs to speak with both you and Nyx right away. I'll go get her." Lark turned and pelted away into the woods. Storm nodded; he started to pad out, before tripping again. Faedon resisted the urge to give him a sympathetic glance; he probably wouldn't take sympathy, especially from a wolf from another pack, well.

It took a while, but Nyx finally came back. She trotted into the alpha's den, and Faedon started to follow her, but stopped. She might be allowed to do that in Stonepack, since she was Senkah's daughter, but she certainly couldn't do that here. "Can I come in?" she asked. Nyx nodded, and Faedon stepped inside.

"What is it you have to tell us?" Nyx asked, curling her midnight black tail around her paws.

Faedon was about to reply, when she felt a small paw touch her tail. She turned, seeing a young pup. She reeked of BeechTreeCreek, and Faedon wondered what she was doing here, and where her parents were. She didn't say anything, but was clearly displeased as the pup started climbing all over her. She twitched an ear irritably, looking up as Lark came over and growled to the pup, "Shoo!"

Faedon cleared her throat, waiting for the pup to go away.

The pup fell down and crawled under Faedon's belly, nuzzling her soft fur as she tried to snuggle up next to her. "OUT!" Lark snapped, grabbing her scruff and roughly yanking her out from under Faedon.

Despite her displeasure with the pup, Faedon couldn't help but flinch. Isn't that a bit harsh? She's just a pup...

The pup started to cry, and squirmed in Lark's jaws. "Lark..." Nyx murmured, "She's just a pup..."

Lark sighed. "Alright, alright, calm down," she ushered to the pup. "I'm going to find your parents." She trotted out of the den, taking her away.

Faedon breathed a sigh of relief as all the activity ended, and she could finally get a word in. I must've come at a bad time, she thought.

"Alright," Storm said, "what do you have to tell us, Faedon?"

Faedon cleared her throat, "a wolf overheard Atra's plans to take over the other packs last night. She said that Atra was planning to take over Emeraldpack first by luring wolves away."

Nyx didn't take it well. She yelped, "We don't have many wolves at the moment... and Storm's still healing... what are we supposed to do?!"

Faedon resisted the urge to tell her to calm down. "I don't know, but Senkah says that Stonepack is willing to help the other packs, should Darkpack attack."

"Thanks for warning us," Nyx said, "I'll have to warn the other wolves in the pack."

Faedon nodded, stepping out of the den and stretching her legs. She pelted back to the mountains, coming back to the densite. She saw Senkah carrying a sparrow in her jaws, getting ready to eat it. "Did you talk to them?" she asked.

"Yeah," Faedon nodded.

"Good. Thank you, Faedon."

"Sure thing."

Senkah turned and padded into her den to eat, while Faedon glanced around. "Hey," she barked when she saw the new wolf, Cedar. "You wanna go hunting?"

Cedar jumped, turning to look at Faedon. "S-sure," she said, padding over to her, "What's your name?"

"I'm Faedon. Your name is Cedar, correct?"

"Yeah." Just then, Quartz came over.

"Can I come hunting with you?" Quartz asked.

"Sure," Faedon nodded, following a trail. "There's some elk this way!" she barked, pelting away.

Back
Top Bottom