run

jimz1

Songster
9 Years
Jun 6, 2010
Coleman, Wi
When I make my coop ,I am also making a covered run. Question is, how short do I make it height wise. My wife thinks they need to fly around a little bit and I was thinking more like 2 feet high. This run is going to be somewhat portable so when I move my coop (tractor) I'll be able to move the run also

This weekend, I was building a run 8x8 and height is 3'. I used 2x2's and 2x3's to make it light weight but not too light so it could fly with the wind. We will be using this run for portable. I am affraid of them free ranging when I am not at the backyard with them (hawks and other predators). Couple of weeks ago, I've made 8x2 run, using the same materials for broody mom and her baby chic and we had wind gusy 50mph and nothing happened. I also made them a roosting bar in the middle about 1 foot high and they are very comfortable. Hope this helps, good luck.

Depends on how many birds you have and if you let them out. I have 4 ladies and a 6' x 3' x 3' run. They free range too, but in our rainy climate, they spend a lot of time in it. I recommend adding a roost in it. Mine sit on that roost all day when it rains, they love it. They also bask in the morning sun in summer on it.
Since this picture, we have added a plastic corrugated roof.
75545_img_8732.jpg

We also added a door on the end as it was impossible to clean when attached to the coop house. OH yeah, we also changed from chicken wire to hardware cloth. That was an expense. Go for the better stuff first, you won't regret it!
75545_dsc00684.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom