1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RUN_PVC Stage 1 - Need Netting Recommendations

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jazzpurr, Jul 27, 2008.

1. jazzpurr

jazzpurr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    So.. I wanted a light weight, easy to move run. I thought I would try PVC
    pipe.

Let me just say two words - Labor Intensive.

But I am very happy with the results. This didn't happen without a lot of
    planning and using AutoCAD. I learned a lot about PVC.
    One unexpected result is the "Boing" factor. The center posts are
    being lifted off the ground by the hooped sides.

The finished product is intended to keep the chickens in and the hawks
    out. I have not had any problem with ground predators during daylight
    hours.

Stage 2 is applying the netting, which I hope you can help with. The
    Internet has dozens of sites and hundreds of products and I'm not
    really sure what I should buy. I think I need a 1" mesh with a 50Lb
    break strength but I'm not sure. I know that will hold a chicken in but
    I don't know if it will keep a Hawk out.
    Will a hawk try to slam through the netting or does the netting feel alien
    enough to it that it wont even try to get in?
    Do you have any experience with attaching the netting? I wanted to use some large Tie-Wraps in case I need to repair of replace any part of the
    frame or netting.

Stage 3 will be a rolling Cart that fits through the 36 " doorway. I want it to
    contain water, feed, roosts and nesting boxes. That way I can move the PVC run
    to new locations and fresh grass plus I can easily maintain the cart
    by taking IT to the food and water supplies, cleaning it up and
    rolling it to the new location. At night the cart will go right into the coop
    and do the job there as well.

Any help on the netting will be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    DH wanted to do this and put 2" square wire around it but found it was more expensive than my designs. He still loves the idea of the PVC tractor but hasn't found a way to cut his costs.
    We would use the wire instead of netting because of ice storms here and the ability for it to sag, tear or fall apart in our heat also. It just works better for us to use hardware cloth or small wire of some sort.
    You have a great coop and DH will be very impressed when he sees this! I like the idea for mobility reasons!
    Good luck![​IMG]

3. XL506

XL506 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2008
    Ohio
  4. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    I would again get rolls of welded wire. It could give the structure some weight too. I fear the plastic netting could be sliced like butter.

May require changing the middle vertical poles for stronger metal poles.

I like it a lot.

PS Alternately you could put welded wire around the bottom 4 or 5 feet and door with a bird net on top if they have a secure coop for night time. If you do a net all over including the sides, i would not trust it at all against a random dog or raccoon. A dog could jump on a net sidewall and tear his way in or knock it apart. A raccoon could bite a hole and waltz on in and do his destruction. At the very least put welded wire on that bottom 2 foot tall section all around with a 1 foot L shaped flap all around for diggers.

Are the pipes and connectors glued together with plumber's PVC cement?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  5. jazzpurr

jazzpurr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    Yes, It's all glued except for the hoops. If you look at the 3rd picture
    you can see the sleeve made from 1" PVC, all the rest is 3/4".

I cut a slice in the 3/4 hoop on both ends and this allowed enough flex
    to get it into the 1". Unfortunately the I.D. of the 1" seems to be the exact
    size of the 3/4" O.D.

I spent about $115 for the pipe, joints and glue. The netting will probably take it to $200.

If this doesn't work for the chickens then is is going to be a portable
    green house.

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
  7. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I like the idea of strong metal mesh on the bottom 3' to give it some rigidity and keep out dogs/coons etc. Then use any old flimsy stuff to cover the rest of it.

As to hawks, I don't think you have to worry much about them. Any kind of mesh or net on top would keep them out. The coons or 'possums are the ones that will cause the trouble.

*ponder* Maybe you could do the 'not very strong' mesh all over but add a few electric wires to the bottom for the coons and dogs?

8. PAChickenChick

PAChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    I just wanted to add....I did the "V-8" head slap when reading about your food/lodging service cart. What a fantastic idea!!!!!!!!!!!!

I currently have a mini mini mini movable run for my two chicks that is basicly just 2x2's and some chicken wire (cause I don't leave them out alone) but I will have to make a real one for when they get bigger (and when I get two more)...anyway, what a pain in the butt it is to move the food in, then the waterer, then a roost, ect....

I can't believe that such a simple solution never occurred to me. My only regret is that I didn't read this before and could think of a way to incorporate it into the main coop like you are. But still, it will be a welcome addition to the movable run.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE IDEA!

9. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    wow, i really liked your photo and design, it has me thinkin' now about a smaller version for my little guys!!
    thanks for sharing it.

Quote:

10. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    I think flight net would be your best bet, but it is exspensive. I just covered one with deer netting, we will see how that holds up.

I think a Carts Vermont cart would be a great base for your feed station.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by