Runner duck can't walk and appears egg broke inside her

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kadjain, May 31, 2012.

1. Kadjain

Kadjain Songster

Last night I was herding my ducks in and a runner female collapsed and couldn't get back up. I put her in a nest and she was still there this morning. I checked her out and it appears there is yolk coming out of her. I felt her abdomen and it feels hard. Any suggestions what I can do to help her?

Thanks

2. Rachelssmiles

Rachelssmiles In the Brooder

May 29, 2012
    Good ol Wyoming
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Do you have a vet? If the egg broke inside her, the danger of infection is quite serious. She needs to be on antibiotics.

I don't want to scare you or give you false hope. She needs veterinary attention now. My duck Neun died of egg yolk peritonitis, which is a systemic infection caused by the egg getting loose in the body cavity (at least that is my understanding of the gist of it).

Please get help right away.

4. Kadjain

Kadjain Songster

I was going to put her down but when I went to get her she had laid an egg. Could she have passed an egg past an internal broken egg?

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think it is possible. Ducks surprise me regularly. Sometimes they pull through just fine.

There may not have been a hard shell on that egg.

Give her vitamins, and a lukewarm bath to swim in for a while. It may still be a good idea to give her antibiotics.

Praying for you both.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: