1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Runner duck & chickens help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bourke&Chicks, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Bourke&Chicks

Bourke&Chicks Hatching

Aug 17, 2010
    Bellingham, WA
    Last spring I acquired 3 chicks and 1 Indian Runner duckling.... well a couple months later I find out that all 3 of my chicks are roosters... I wanted the chickens for eggs so naturally I had to come up with a new plan.

I found fanastic homes for the roosters and got 3 more chicks in hopes of starting over but the question I have is when its time to replace the roosters with the new flock, will the runner be aggressive towards the youngins.

The runner is a female and has never been aggressive towards the roosters but she also grew up with them. The new chicks are just over 4 weeks now so I still have a couple of weeks before they come out of the brooder.

Any ideas on how to integrate them smoothly would be much appreciated.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Songster

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I would wait to introduce them until they are a little older. Then put them in a pen inside the area where the duck lives but so the duck can not get to them and see how the duck behaves around them. After a few days and if no problem then release them from the temporary pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by