Runner duck funny walk, more than normal anyway!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ejctm, Aug 6, 2010.

1. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    One of my 5 week old runner babies has a bit of a funny walk. He seems to find it hard to balance while standing still or walking slowly and sits down an awful lot as it is easier for him. He can run fast with no problem. Standing still, he wobbles and flumps down on his tummy, or sits on his elbows. He is the biggest of the group and I wondered if he was growing too fast, i.e. his legs are a bit long and awkward and don't seem to fit his body. The girls all have perfect balance and very graceful either standing or walking. He is a bit like Bambi or a baby giraffe.

He is fed on chick crumbs with added niacin, but helps himself to my chickens' layers pellets too. He also eats grass, peas and cracked corn, slugs, bugs, etc. Could this be a deficiency? It is not very noticeable, but I notice it because it is different from the others. He always prefers to sit down than stand up. Could it be just a growth phase that they all go through?

I will try and get some pics and maybe a video tomorrow.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I find sometimes some of my Runners will go through a phase or being uncoordinated or walking funny. Mine have always grown out of it in a few days. They stomp around at times too- I Love seeing that...they take a few steps - stomp their feet a few times and plonk themselves down to sit. They also stand on their feet a bit- and on an odd occasion fall over from running too fast and slipping. Sounds like your duck may be going through an extra fast growth period- but a video would help if you could manage it- Just to rule out any problems.

3. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    It's probably nothing to worry about, they get more sturdy as they get older. Mine used to totter around as if they were wearing high heels but now they're pretty good - seem to have got the hang of it [​IMG]

4. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    lol at the high heels! that is just so true!

Like a 3 year old wearing her mum's shoes [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by