Runner duck hatch problems

newchickmama91

Songster
Feb 21, 2017
Wiltshire England
Ok so I have abit of an emergency!!! I have my nephews staying and they know my room is "out of bounds" as I have the incubators in there. Well I'm pretty sure they ignored my rule as I've just gone to go to bed and I checked the eggs in the incubator as it's the end of day 25 so they are in lockdown and it's just a habit to check! Anyway one of my eggs has a crack and a piece of shell has come off. My guess is they were running around in my room and because my floorboards are rubbish it must of shook the inc and cracked one :( it's still alive and wriggling from what I see when I shine my light in. Anything I can do? Humidity is at 67 shall I up it or cover the hole? Really upset about it I'm so excited for this hatch it's just my luck something happens :hit

Ok so I have abit of an emergency!!! I have my nephews staying and they know my room is "out of bounds" as I have the incubators in there. Well I'm pretty sure they ignored my rule as I've just gone to go to bed and I checked the eggs in the incubator as it's the end of day 25 so they are in lockdown and it's just a habit to check! Anyway one of my eggs has a crack and a piece of shell has come off. My guess is they were running around in my room and because my floorboards are rubbish it must of shook the inc and cracked one
sad.png
it's still alive and wriggling from what I see when I shine my light in. Anything I can do? Humidity is at 67 shall I up it or cover the hole? Really upset about it I'm so excited for this hatch it's just my luck something happens
hit.gif
@RavynFallen

@WVduckchick

@newchickmama91 it is common for runner ducks to hatch a bit early. Sounds to me like you have a pip! That's a good thing! It may take another 24-36 hours before it zips out of the shell, so be patient.

A pic would confirm my suspicion if you can post one.

:)

@newchickmama91 it is common for runner ducks to hatch a bit early. Sounds to me like you have a pip! That's a good thing! It may take another 24-36 hours before it zips out of the shell, so be patient.

A pic would confirm my suspicion if you can post one.

:)
Well unfortunately it didn't make it
1f622.png
I started smelling a awful smell after and seeing like brown liquid coming out so I decided to get it out and have a look. Pretty sure it had some sort of infection as all the veins were black I'm very surprised it was still alive in there!! The membrane had white bubbles all around it anyone know what it was? I had to put candle wax on this one at the start due to a big hairline crack maybe I got to it to late? Still have 5 more in there so I'm hoping this hasn't affected them
1f615.png

Ok so one has externally pipped!! Looks as though he's pipped several different holes in the membrane though is that normal? I put the eggs near the window so I can see without opening the inc. I don't want it to dry up in there! My humidity is 67 so should be ok I hope!

Ok so one has externally pipped!! Looks as though he's pipped several different holes in the membrane though is that normal? I put the eggs near the window so I can see without opening the inc. I don't want it to dry up in there! My humidity is 67 so should be ok I hope!
I'll tag @WVduckchick

Yes very normal for ducks. They will eventually start zipping, but a few pips together is good. :clap

Back
Top Bottom