Runner Duck Laying Ability

Enigmius

Crowing
5 Years
Jan 5, 2018
Mansfield, Tx
I have read a few contradictory things on the web about runner ducks. I've read from one source that runners only lay around 160 eggs a year. Another site said they lay close to 250 eggs a year. And then, one site said that they only lay for 2 years. WHAT??!!

What is the truth?

This site will have ACCURATE information... They KNOW their stuff!
http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparisonNew.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=19020968

Some strains that have been bred for show will lay far less than the standard bred strain or line (not breed).

Also note the UPPER end of the numbers on their site are stated be "under LIGHTED conditions"... The lower # will be for people who DON'T substitute lite.

Don't visit that source again that says "2 per year"... they clearly don't know what they are talking about OR have provided terrible conditions for their birds causing such a diminished production... UNLESS it happens to be a misprint, which I do see all the time.

This site will have ACCURATE information... They KNOW their stuff!
http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparisonNew.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=19020968

Some strains that have been bred for show will lay far less than the standard bred strain or line (not breed).

Also note the UPPER end of the numbers on their site are stated be "under LIGHTED conditions"... The lower # will be for people who DON'T substitute lite.

Don't visit that source again that says "2 per year"... they clearly don't know what they are talking about OR have provided terrible conditions for their birds causing such a diminished production... UNLESS it happens to be a misprint, which I do see all the time.
LOL thanks. I am on my way to check out that site you provided. I have been thinking about breeds for a bit, whilst I'm getting my backyard ready for eventually getting ducks. Runners are super cute, but I was worried about what I thought then was a low egg production. It seems that most of those breeds lay roughly in the same range minus the Khaki Campbell and the two other hybrid layers. The other breeds I am looking into are Magpies and Welsh Harlequins. We have a magpie breeder in Texas near College Station, so they were on my "to consider list". Unfortunately Metzer doesn't have stats on them. I can only get three ducks.. so...

I can only get three ducks
Go with the runners... And I would get my 3 together, in case something happens to 1 the other 2 sill still have each other. Get SEXED if you can... it'll be better then having to deal with a drake starting out... who *may* try to mate chickens if you have them & it could be dangerous.

Feed consumption compared to egg production... runners are gonna be best probably (aside from the khaki's)... Which ALSO means less poo. :sick

I CANNOT believe how much ducks eat compared to chickens. :eek:

And Runners are totally cute! :love

All though, many others are as well. :thumbsup :pop

I tried a few breeds... they were all pretty and had fun personalities, including the Harlequins and the Runners. I'm a fan of variety. I like the interesting diversity of eye candy. One of my faves was the White Crested! Alas, my feed bill won out in addition to ease of care and I just have chickens for now, which I am already WELL set up for.

Due to size and feed consumption... runners will be at the top of the list in the future. :)

Most ducks in general will in the spring,soem will go so far in winter.Ducks should not be for eggs.

My runners lay really well and nothing beats my Cayuga! However my white layer is horrible and she is always needing extra calcium in addition to what is in the feed and oyster shell! I have the same problem with my sexlink chicken. So from my experience I tend to shy away from production birds.

I'll put in a good word for Magpies! I absolutely love them! I currently have 4 adults and 12 ducklings. :wee The 3 adult females are laying HUGE eggs right now, and rarely missing a day each one of them probably misses about 2 days a month. Remember, it all depends on the strain. :)

I have 4 Runner females and they started laying at around 4.5 months old and laid like gang busters for about 18 months. Then they molted back last fall and haven't started back up yet. They will be 2 end of April 2018. I sure do love them lil girls they are the funniest things.

I'll put in a good word for Magpies! I absolutely love them! I currently have 4 adults and 12 ducklings. :wee The 3 adult females are laying HUGE eggs right now, and rarely missing a day each one of them probably misses about 2 days a month. Remember, it all depends on the strain. :)
The poultry farm in Texas that has magpies is Ideal Poultry. I’ll do a search in the form section to see if there are any reviews on their duck strains. Thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom