Runner duck vent discoloration, yellow scabs *graphic pics*

Thank you soo much for taking the time to share your experience and advise.

The prolaps is gone, but the yellow white scab is stuck inside. The hydrocortisone reduced the overall smelling. Since I didn`t get my hands on the ointment form I mixed the hydrocortison creme with vaseline and a bit dexpantenol.
The skin seems greyish :-( under and arround the scabs. You were talking about necrotic tissue on your lady - what colour was it.

Unfortunaltely she won`t go broody - i read that maybe a hormon implant used for cats/dogs could stop eggs for a few weeks.

I do have a few question. Maybe you could share your thoughts on them.
1. the hydrocortison ointment for 3-4 times a day - for as long as there is swelling or just till the prolaps is history?
2. baths: did you add anything - babysoap, dawn dishsoap, epsom and how would you go about to get it in the vent (once the prolaps is gone to get the scabs away)
3. concering the extra calcium: I do provide a seperate bowl of oyster shells - is there something better or more effective?
4. already had her on baytrill for 6 days -what antibiotics did you use and how long.

I have some metacam/meloxicam and i will give her some.

Again, really appriciate any input. Thanks in advance

UPDATE: I lab just sent the result of the vecal exam:
positiv for eggs of askaridia or Heterakis sp.

Last edited:
Thank you soo much for taking the time to share your experience and advise.

The prolaps is gone, but the yellow white scab is stuck inside. The hydrocortisone reduced the overall smelling. Since I didn`t get my hands on the ointment form I mixed the hydrocortison creme with vaseline and a bit dexpantenol.
The skin seems greyish :-( under and arround the scabs. You were talking about necrotic tissue on your lady - what colour was it.

Unfortunaltely she won`t go broody - i read that maybe a hormon implant used for cats/dogs could stop eggs for a few weeks.

I do have a few question. Maybe you could share your thoughts on them.
1. the hydrocortison ointment for 3-4 times a day - for as long as there is swelling or just till the prolaps is history?
2. baths: did you add anything - babysoap, dawn dishsoap, epsom and how would you go about to get it in the vent (once the prolaps is gone to get the scabs away)
3. concering the extra calcium: I do provide a seperate bowl of oyster shells - is there something better or more effective?
4. already had her on baytrill for 6 days -what antibiotics did you use and how long.

I have some metacam/meloxicam and i will give her some.

Again, really appriciate any input. Thanks in advance

UPDATE: I lab just sent the result of the vecal exam:
positiv for eggs of askaridia or Heterakis sp.
The necrotic tissue was gray. It felt very spongy like. If they are scabs, they will fall off in time. It may just be scabs from it hitting the ground when prolasped. The pale tissue to me is a bit concerning, but I don't know enough to tell you what it means. That is a good sign the swelling went down though. The hydrocortisone is the main thing that will help.

1. I usually treat it for at least a week after the prolapse. You can reduce how often if there is not much swelling. One of my runners had a really minor prolapse, but it came back after a couple of weeks or so. I ended up treating her for a few weeks a couple times of day.

2. I have found the water without anything can help. I used a some epsom salt at first, but, I didn't really think it did much. I did not add nearly as much as it recommended, but too salty of a solution could be potentially uncomfortable for the duck.

3. I treat them a bit like an egg bound duck. I give them 500mg of calcium citrate once a day. But I have a feeling yours could be caused by the worms.

4. you should need to treat her any further with antibiotics. Baytril should have killed any bacteria.

This was the prolapse from my girl. That lump there has a calcified center. That whole section of tissue eventually fell off. it is possible she may drop some tissue too.
PXL_20210924_032731754.jpg
PXL_20210924_032731754.jpg

@Quatie

What are you treating her with for the round worms? Heterakis?
I was gonna go for a treatment with levamisol. Plus for her roomy(test sample for other coop was negative) Read it kills all stages of askaridia and heterakis sp.
To be frank in my 10+ duck years, i never ever had a positiv test. But then again those parasites are sneaky :-(.
Do recommend another product/substance.

The necrotic tissue was gray. It felt very spongy like. If they are scabs, they will fall off in time. It may just be scabs from it hitting the ground when prolasped. The pale tissue to me is a bit concerning, but I don't know enough to tell you what it means. That is a good sign the swelling went down though. The hydrocortisone is the main thing that will help.

1. I usually treat it for at least a week after the prolapse. You can reduce how often if there is not much swelling. One of my runners had a really minor prolapse, but it came back after a couple of weeks or so. I ended up treating her for a few weeks a couple times of day.

2. I have found the water without anything can help. I used a some epsom salt at first, but, I didn't really think it did much. I did not add nearly as much as it recommended, but too salty of a solution could be potentially uncomfortable for the duck.

3. I treat them a bit like an egg bound duck. I give them 500mg of calcium citrate once a day. But I have a feeling yours could be caused by the worms.

4. you should need to treat her any further with antibiotics. Baytril should have killed any bacteria.

This was the prolapse from my girl. That lump there has a calcified center. That whole section of tissue eventually fell off. it is possible she may drop some tissue too.
View attachment 3518510View attachment 3518510
Thanks a lot for your reply. Uh the vent in the picture looks really painfull - did she ever recover fully?

Yeah the grey tissue is what really worries me the most. Maybe it took me to long to discover the prolaps and the grey tissue is dried skin..😔
Another thing you were talking about getting your Girl broody. How did you manage this?

Hopefully my dewormer gets delivered soon and improves things. Plus i'll give her calcium citrate.

Thanks a lot for your reply. Uh the vent in the picture looks really painfull - did she ever recover fully?

Yeah the grey tissue is what really worries me the most. Maybe it took me to long to discover the prolaps and the grey tissue is dried skin..😔
Another thing you were talking about getting your Girl broody. How did you manage this?

Hopefully my dewormer gets delivered soon and improves things. Plus i'll give her calcium citrate.
She did fully recover. Shortly after taking that picture her prolapsing stopped and shed that cyst like lump. We mostly caught on her because she came over to us asking for help. My husband picked her up and I saw the prolapse. They can be hard to see.

With my runners, they will go broody if I leave their eggs. She could tell the difference between her eggs and fake eggs. I had her in a small area inside. They like small darker areas to go broody in. It doesn't always work though. Another one of my runners had a prolapse and would not go broody. She was ironically a bit broody earlier in the season.

Back
Top Bottom