Runner Duckling with Twisted Leg

Wheeks

In the Brooder
May 8, 2015
I have a roughly two week old Indian Runner duckling with a twisted leg. I am not sure if this has popped out recently or not (been gone for the last week), but I don't recall her having problems when I first got her. She, and the other two ducklings are kept on shavings or coop clean (none of the other ducklings are having issues). They were being fed unmedicated chick starter for a few days prior to me adding niacin (100mg/gallon) into their water. Able to stand and get around, though tires easily and sits down a lot more than the other ducklings.

Anything I can do? Should I add in more niacin, some other supplements, or whatever I am willing to try anything for this duckie!

The duckling in question is the one in the front in this picture.

Duckling in question is on the left

Looks like there may have been an injury. I would keep doing research - poultrypedia has a leg injury page https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

And I would start thinking about a progressive wrapping program. Kind of like they do with braces - just a little correction, nothing painful, to slowly move the leg back into alignment.

I am not a vet, not an orthopedist - this is just one of my first thoughts.

Years ago I found a surgeon willing to try some experimental surgery on my cat, for his own experience and knowledge. Might you contact a veterinary school or practice and see if there is anyone interested in that kind of thing? I am not suggesting surgery but alignment.

In the meantime, Epsom salt wraps, swim time to get weight off the leg, perhaps even a sling to get the weight off the leg for periods of time. It may right itself if there is no pressure, and the muscles are strengthened.

Back
Top Bottom