Runner ducklings/weak legs

Pati527

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2015
We have 6 runner ducklings about 3 weeks old. They were doing fine until today. They appear to have trouble standing. They will walk but sit down quickly. Feed is 24% grower with mealworms as treats. Today they are not interested in treats which is very unusual. I could use some advice from duck people. We have had adult ducks for years but this is our first time with ducklings. Brooder temp is 80 degrees and they have access to a small pan of water. Please help if you can. Thank you in advance.

1387925E-4C2F-466A-A756-BAE7A97D67AA.jpeg
24% sound high for the protein and sounds like a niacin deficiency that usually causes leg weakness even lameness and bow legs in some breeds. Can you go to TSC and get a liquid BComplex and put it over their mealworms ? The dose is 1 ml daily for each Duckling it’s in the cattle section and will say injectable but is given orally to our ducklings. Also might want to pick up an all flock feed that will drop the content of protein. If you can get them to take the liquid over the mealworms they will get the full dose an get over this faster than putting it in water.

Thank you so much for the help. Headed to TS this morning for feed and supplement. They appear a bit better this morning. Again thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Yes, I keep B-complex on hand at all times. The same bottle that Miss Lydia showed you. It's such an easy quick fit for issues like you're having. Once they start laying I also keep calcium gluconate on hand too for egg bound problems.

Back
Top Bottom