1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Runner ducks and eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by snewman, Sep 5, 2008.

1. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    I got a few runner ducks in May. My first question is at what age might they start laying? Next, since we're coming into fall as they approach laying age, will they still start at all? They have never returned to the inside of the coop since the day I let them and their chicken friends out back in June, so I can't really modify their light cycle. They come back to the pen at night, but don't go inside the coop. I guess the question is, then, since their age of laying might conflict with the shorter days, will they just never start laying until the longer days of spring?

2. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    My runner started to lay at about 22 weeks. She has laid an egg a day and will NOT lay them in the nice nest box we made her. She will lay them in the mud, in the dry leaves, in the pond, and behind the boysenberry bush under a tree where you either get stab with thorns or crack your head on the tree. As for winter time laying I haven't experienced that yet. I am hoping to have her lay as long as I can throughout the winter. I still plan on having light in her pen (though the only time she really uses it is when we have major storms come through) to help with the egg laying.

I just can't wait to see the ducks wattle around in two feet of snow. I can envision a lot of sliding on bottoms going on. LOL

3. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Mine liked to lay them in the pond. I would have to use a plastic manure fork to get them out. As for the snow, they will pack down a trail an run on top. They will need a warm dry place to go too i the winter, and I would recommend a light to keep her laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by