Runner ducks are suddenly being aggressive to each other

Fixxie

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2022
I have owned three duck runners for almost a year now, all this time everything has gone smoothly, they have clean water, access to water for swimming and food every day. Occasionally they hold each other's head underwater when they swim, but only for a few seconds, and other than that they get along fine. I didn't change anything in the routine, but suddenly two of the three ducks started being mean to the third one. This has never happened before, they are only targeting the one duck and holding its head underwater and won't let go. In addition, one of the ducks has started attacking her everyday when they are in the free-range, they have a huge garden, so the bullied duck can get away, but she is downright scared of the one duck. She has started laying unfinished eggs all over the garden, probably from stress.

This is my first time having duck runners and I don't know what to do, I have tried to find a solution on the internet but to no avail. I have three females, no males, so due to jealousy this is not happening.

:welcome
Holding the head under is part of play mating my Runners and Buffs do it all the time.
The other part where they are being aggressive to their flock mate sounds really off just going by my own Runners they are stuck together like glue. I wonder if something is going on with this Runner who is being targeted? since she is laying unfinished eggs all over the garden? Do they have access to oyster shell or another type of calcium? when we have soft shells and it happens more than once we usually rec Liquid Calcium gluconate or calcium citrate. It really helps and they can get depleted of calcium from laying so often.
I know this isn't what you posted about but poultry and all animals really can tell when one of their own is sick or something is going on they perceive as a weakness and will try and get rid of that one, run them away or attack them. So maybe making this one that is having trouble right now her own space close to where the other girls are so she can spend her time recouping but they can all still see each other. This way you'll be able to monitor her better to make sure she is eating, drinking, pooping normal and laying and not having to be picked on by the other 2 girls.

:welcome
Holding the head under is part of play mating my Runners and Buffs do it all the time.
The other part where they are being aggressive to their flock mate sounds really off just going by my own Runners they are stuck together like glue. I wonder if something is going on with this Runner who is being targeted? since she is laying unfinished eggs all over the garden? Do they have access to oyster shell or another type of calcium? when we have soft shells and it happens more than once we usually rec Liquid Calcium gluconate or calcium citrate. It really helps and they can get depleted of calcium from laying so often.
I know this isn't what you posted about but poultry and all animals really can tell when one of their own is sick or something is going on they perceive as a weakness and will try and get rid of that one, run them away or attack them. So maybe making this one that is having trouble right now her own space close to where the other girls are so she can spend her time recouping but they can all still see each other. This way you'll be able to monitor her better to make sure she is eating, drinking, pooping normal and laying and not having to be picked on by the other 2 girls.
Yes! They all have access to calcium, I even add calcium to their normal diet, which they still have access to. It's only happened a couple of times that she's laid eggs around the garden, now it seems fine again. I haven't noticed any other dietary changes in that one duck, she is eating normally and there are no changes in her stool. My three ducks were stuck together like glue too, now only the one is staying away from the others because she is scared, but only one of the ducks seems aggressive to me, she still gets along with the other one, but as soon as the one that is attacking gets close she hides her neck and runs away.

That's good. still my flock has oyster shell out 24/7 and I'll still have one who occasionally needs something extra so she'll get the liquid Calcium gluconate. It's also a good product to have in case one has trouble laying an egg.
If you decide to separate so you can give this female some time to recoup. When you start letting them back together start with supervised time so you can interfere if they get too rowdy with her. She may just need some time to get her egg laying back to normal. And not be stressed by the other 2 females. another way to separate and keep them together is to use dog pen fencing I have used it many times when one of mine has come up limping that way they are still with their flock but they have to rest. A dog crate inside the coop makes for keeping one safe from being picked on for overnight.

That's good. still my flock has oyster shell out 24/7 and I'll still have one who occasionally needs something extra so she'll get the liquid Calcium gluconate. It's also a good product to have in case one has trouble laying an egg.
If you decide to separate so you can give this female some time to recoup. When you start letting them back together start with supervised time so you can interfere if they get too rowdy with her. She may just need some time to get her egg laying back to normal. And not be stressed by the other 2 females. another way to separate and keep them together is to use dog pen fencing I have used it many times when one of mine has come up limping that way they are still with their flock but they have to rest. A dog crate inside the coop makes for keeping one safe from being picked on for overnight.
I thought of another thing worth mentioning, when they are in the coop overnight they don't squawk, there are no signs of attack or any problems, when they come out of the coop in the morning everything is fine. Problems only occur after they have been out together for a while.

You might want to think about offering them food that you don't add calcium to. Just leave oyster shell out available to them for whenever they need it. Just as a bird having issues with too little calcium, too much calcium can also be problematic and cause soft/shelless eggs. Do you mind going into detail about the bully duck attacking the other one? Is she ripping at feathers? Whenever they "mate" with each other, they grab their neck feathers which is normal like Miss Lydia (one of our lovely duck experts 💜) mentioned. What happens whenever they're free ranging? Have they found a treat they don't want to share maybe? I don't know but I'm just offering up some things I've witnessed with my own ducks. Hopefully this will be resolved soon. I wish you and your 3 runners the best.

I'm not trying to discount Miss Lydia's words of wisdom by any means. She is very knowledgeable and has helped me on numerous occasions. I also have a duck that needs extra calcium occasionally, in spite of her eating oyster shells. It must be a fine line with some birds in having the perfect amount of calcium. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we knew 😍

You might want to think about offering them food that you don't add calcium to. Just leave oyster shell out available to them for whenever they need it. Just as a bird having issues with too little calcium, too much calcium can also be problematic and cause soft/shelless eggs. Do you mind going into detail about the bully duck attacking the other one? Is she ripping at feathers? Whenever they "mate" with each other, they grab their neck feathers which is normal like Miss Lydia (one of our lovely duck experts 💜) mentioned. What happens whenever they're free ranging? Have they found a treat they don't want to share maybe? I don't know but I'm just offering up some things I've witnessed with my own ducks. Hopefully this will be resolved soon. I wish you and your 3 runners the best.
I appreciate your advice on food, I will definitely take a lesson from both of you and give them oyster shells on the side. I'm trying to watch my three runners and figure out what might be bothering them, but still can't figure anything out, the first duck that is attacked acts normal until it gets close to the attacking duck. The second duck who is acting completely normal has no problem with either of the other two ducks, she is not hiding the neck or quacking loudly/aggressively at the others. The third duck that is attacking is behaving normally until it approaches the first duck, there is no specific place where it has a problem. She tries to peck at her, quacks loudly at her and chases her across the garden, then leaves her for a while for no reason. She runs after her the same way my ducks run back to their food, when a bird approaches and wants to eat, they defend their food and always shoo them away. Except for those two instances here, my ducks never act like that.

I wonder how things would go if you took the most aggressive duck and put her by herself. That will give the scared one time to bond with the middle ground duck. I'm not sure but let's see what @Miss Lydia thinks.
A couple more knowledgeable and helpful people are @Isadora and @Quatie
I believe @DuckyDonna has all Runner ducks.

Between these four amazing friends, I'm sure they can help you figure out a plan that will get you back on track.
Do you have current pictures of the ducks?

Always worth trying different things to see what works. My main objective when I mentioned separating the one being picked on was giving her time to recoup and try and get her back to laying normal eggs again. All advise is welcomed I am sure not the only one here with info. Appreciate your advise @HeatherKellyB
So only one duck is actually picking on this one? I was thinking it was both.
@HollowOfWisps is another who may have suggestions.

sorry it took me a while to get back internet is wonky.

Back
Top Bottom