Runner ducks?? Behavior?? Pics??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Shkittles, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Shkittles

Shkittles Chillin' With My Peeps

So I'm pretty sure i want to get some runner ducks [​IMG] and would like to see your runner ducks! [​IMG] so show me some runners!!! [​IMG]
    OH!, and what is their Behavior like???
    THanks!! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2009
  2. Shkittles

Shkittles Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] Is anybody gonna answer?? [​IMG] [​IMG] I really need help [​IMG]
    ANYBODY???!!!?? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]
    Fawn and White Drakes
    [​IMG]
    Chocolate Hen
    These are not exhibition ducks, just bought them as day old ducklings at my local ranch store. They were hand raised, the drakes are fairly friendly, the hen not so much, she doesn't like to be picked up, but she is the one who is the most excited to see me when I come outside. She runs over to the little fence that separates the patio from the duck yard. It's fun to watch them run, they kind of glide in that their heads don't bob up and down or side to side like a regular waddeling duck. I showed photos of them to my brother and he said they don't look like real ducks, thought my Welsh Harlequin looked more "real".

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My runner is what is considered a "utility grade" duck. SHe doesn't have the upright stature that show ducks have.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Personality-wise...she is afraid of her own shadow.

5. SpunkyChicken

SpunkyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    New Hampshire
    We used to raise Indian Runners. The chicks are darling but they seem to get more skittish as they mature. I'd say you'd get them for the novelty of having a duck that runs instead of waddles, rather than for their personality. [​IMG]

Don't have any pictures though - that was back before anyone in my family owned a digital camera!

6. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Awwwwww, Dances with ducks, your duckies look exactly like mine! I saw that picture and went, "Oh it's Victor and MingMei's dopplegangers!)"

Here are my knuckle heads-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are a very skittish breed. Mine are imprinted and bonded really close to us, esp since they sleep inside, and they are still scared of everything! They'll run away from their own shandows, anything long and stick like, anything big and scary your are carrying (a water jug, a piece of board, lol), their own eggs, baby chicks, and mine are esp not fond of anything big anf blue (esp the sky, lol).

So if you want outside ducks that'll be nice and come up to you, runners wouldn't be my number one reccommendation. I guess it's possible but you have to spend and unbelieveable amount of time with them when they are babies. (I mean like all day and all night, holding them every chance you get, making sure they are seperated from each other, and even letting them sleep where they can see you). Other ducks that are less skittish would still need lots of love as a baby, but the process to me seem less futile. Runners are not just called runners because they are fast, they are called runners because they run away!

7. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    oh and dances with ducks, my ducks are the same way... My choc hen hates being picked up!!!! But once you get her she usually calms down. SHe also gets excited when i come into her view and will chat with me and tell me about her day if she hasn't seen me in awhile. Sometimes her chats sound more desperate like she's saying, "Where were you! I was so worried a fox got you!". lol

My fawn and white one was supposed to be a boy, and turned out to be a girl. He (lol, we refuse to call him a she) Is much more friendly, enjoys being picked up and pet and occasionally snuggled. He's much more willing to run over to you, esp if there is food in your hands.

8. fowlmood

fowlmood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    northern Michigan
    [​IMG]

I have the pair of runners, a pekin and a pair of mallards. The runners are by far the most skittish of them all. They are a lot of fun to watch, (of coarse, aren't ALL ducks) but they will run away and quack like crazy anytime I head out there. Actually our male (the one with the darker head) seems to be the "look out". Anytime anyone or anything gets close, he'll stand right up tall and quack, then he starts herding the others away from us.

9. oh and dances with ducks, my ducks are the same way... My choc hen hates being picked up!!!! But once you get her she usually calms down. SHe also gets excited when i come into her view and will chat with me and tell me about her day if she hasn't seen me in awhile. Sometimes her chats sound more desperate like she's saying, "Where were you! I was so worried a fox got you!".

That's right, they have those chattery gabby voices, and other times those more emphatic tones. Nettie you're guys have so much interaction with you I'm sure they really do have a lot of stuff to talk to you about.

I suspect mine is just saying "WHERES MY FOOD!" [​IMG]

Lately I've been better about getting out there with a bowl of veggie treats every day. My whole flock's gotten a LOT more talkative when they see me. It's like they're cheering me on in the food getting process. [​IMG] "Hurry up and go in the garage and get the food bowls. [​IMG]
    Hey! Where's the vegetables! [​IMG] They actually watch for me in the house window and start quacking when they see me. [​IMG]

I'll come home at night and they are hanging around in the light of the window standing up real tall so they can watch my husband working at his desk. [​IMG] I love these guys! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by