Runner ducks - daily feeding amounts

NingwoodHill

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2020
As we can't have free-roaming runners at the moment, it means our six, 10 week old runners need to be fully fed.
Obviously they're growing ducks. They look healthy (fluffy down on their necks is just starting to clear) and are full of energy and I want to keep them that way. It's January and only 3-5 Deg C at the moment.

I'm feeding 50:50 growers pellets and feed wheat and adding a little grit to the washing up bowl water bowl regularly (which noticeably goes). I've been feeding 1 large cup wheat and 1 large cup of pellets each day.

The trough is clear at the end of the day, although sometimes there will still be a fair bit in there at lunchtime, still. I topped them up with another cup of wheat this afternoon, as the trough was clear and they really went at the extra food.

How much food, per head, in weight, should I be feeding, please? I've googled several things and not come up with anything very clear :idunno.

This is what I found. I always free feed and never let the food go empty
53EB0CDC-6061-4BE0-9E3D-1F733433B0EF.png

I wonder how much they actually drink though. They splash a lot out of their pool and such but their drinking bucket doesn’t go down a whole bunch over the day.
my ducks are still babies, six weeks, so I leave food out 24/7

I haven’t had any issues with my runners overeating. They have 24/7 access to feed. The appleyards and the Muscovy mule tend to eat more than average, I had to put the mule on a restricted diet but no one else has had any issues with getting too chunky.
when I was feeding them as ducklings, they had access to food 24/7 as long as the feed wasn’t out where other critters could get at it. I think that would be the only reason I would bother with restricting access. :)

My Runners like to stick have their bodies down into their buckets even the 5 gal ones. I have to put a piece of wood over the middle to keep them from climbing inside.
I put a lid on the bucket and we cut slots in the side for them to drink. We get a little bit of wetness around the bucket but it’s not bad like it was when they had a bowl.

Back
Top Bottom