1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Runner ducks won't swim!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by runningkaren, Aug 18, 2008.

1. runningkaren

runningkaren Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    South Central PA
    I have 10 4-month old runner ducks. We have a 120 by 100 foot pond. These crazy ducks will not get in the water. They are scared of everything. They will muck in the edges but step in the water, no way! Any ideas? I want them to enjoy the pond and I am sick of carrying them fresh buckets of water when they are standing beside thousands of gallons!

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Stop providing them with an option & they'll work their way into the pond.

3. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    I feel your pain. I got a runner duck last spring and for the first 6 months of his life he would go nowhere near my pond and if I put him in water he would get out ASAP. Then one day he just figured out he was a duck and has loved the water ever since. Runners are a very nervous breed. They just kind of have to figure it out on their own I think. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by