Runner Ducks

My runners are not tolerant of mice and voles. A couple of years ago, I had the same problem, no-duck-body wanted to go into the duck house at night. I spent all day Saturday cleaning the duck house and put in fresh straw at the end of it, but had the same problem that night. On Sunday morning with my first coffee, had a brainstorm--moved the duck house, and found a bunch of vole trails and cubbies underneath. I moved the duck house to a different side of the pen with no vole parties underneath, raked all of the vole holes and watered them thoroughly, and the ducks happily went back to their house in the evening, and from then on.

I did put a layer of bricks under the duck house when I moved it, thinking that if the voles relocate the ducks wouldn't notice them as much with a layer of bricks between them. Third year on, still good!

Miss Lydia I have a large run approximately 30' x 40'. The chickens and runners go in the run every night, and I shut the chain link gate.. The chickens go in to their house to roost where I can close their door; but the runners won't go into their house (large house not cramped) so that I can close their door. At first I thought they would do like chickens going to roost (I know they don't roost) At the very beginning they went into their house and I would close the door, Then they quit going in. thumper650 said they have to drive theirs in so I know to do that now. I know to give them a treat when they go in now. Yes DuckyDonna I thought the same thing I checked their house and cleaned it out and replaced their bedding several times. I want to thank you guys, you gave me some good pointers and I feel better. I'm going to post my outcome to let you know how I'm doing. Thanks again.

My runners are not tolerant of mice and voles. A couple of years ago, I had the same problem, no-duck-body wanted to go into the duck house at night. I spent all day Saturday cleaning the duck house and put in fresh straw at the end of it, but had the same problem that night. On Sunday morning with my first coffee, had a brainstorm--moved the duck house, and found a bunch of vole trails and cubbies underneath. I moved the duck house to a different side of the pen with no vole parties underneath, raked all of the vole holes and watered them thoroughly, and the ducks happily went back to their house in the evening, and from then on.

I did put a layer of bricks under the duck house when I moved it, thinking that if the voles relocate the ducks wouldn't notice them as much with a layer of bricks between them. Third year on, still good!

Back
Top Bottom