runner ducks

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
well my mom's dog just killed my Indian runner last night, I'm still sad, and she feels bad about it so she is going to but she 2 new ones (the one that died was a blue Indian runner) so she is buying them next week from McMurray 1 male 1 female blue Indian's I'm so happy It's going to be so wonderful, I'm still sad about Alex (that was my ducklings name the one that died) but i was just wondering if anyone on hear has any Indian runners cause i could use a little advise please and thank you.

I wouldn't bring new ones in until you have found a way to make sure dog and duck do not meet again.
Either a safe fenced area for the ducks or a fenced area for the dog that s/he can't get out of.

we are getting rid of the dog cause she ( my mom ) has tons of chicks and she has goats and sheep that the dog would love to eat so we are getting rid of her.

Last edited:
Sure:

Be very cautious - they steal hearts!

I have ten runners - I keep them in Little Fort Knox, as we have many predators in the area.

I have poured many hours and much love into this little flock, and it has given back many blessings - healthy, happy, social ducks, high energy but pretty calm over all.

I cannot speak for all runners, just mine.

They respond well to attention, though about half of them aren't exactly cuddly. They like to be near, but not be petted. The other half has three "huggers" who like handling, and two occasional "huggers." It's not too difficult to pick them up to check on them and medicate them when needed.

The most frequent health concern is bumblefoot, which I check closely for and treat early. We've had about a half dozen cases in a year. I treat with triple antibiotic ointment.

I use a splash catcher to reduce mess in the brooder/overnight accommodations. I have started switching over to an organic feed, which is not pellets, so I add water and have started using a deeper dish.

The "cute factor" helps with neighbors.

They love peas and lettuce.

They are my sweeties.
love.gif

I've posted some pics here and there - you can search for them here. Many BYCers have runners, and there is some variety in ways they are managed and housed, and some are more upright (show quality) than others.

Back
Top Bottom