runner getting aggresive

stargazingmommy

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Spokane
My male runner is getting somewhat aggressive, not towards people, but towards the other animals.
Last night one of the dogs was standing next to me eating grass. D'Artagnan stared at her awhile, then charged, grabbed the dogs tale and pulled hard.
Snickers hid behind me.
I shooed Dart away.
Snickers resumes eating grass in another section of the garden, I turned away to water the chickens, turned back just in time to see Dart charge the dog from 10 ft away. Dog growled and snapped, fortunately missed duck. I put the ducks in their pen and the dog in the house.
Yesterday morning I let the chickens loose while I cleaned their run(dogs locked in the house) and let the ducks out for awhile also.
Never had an issue, the ducks would explore the chicken coop and run, and the chicks would usually end up in the duck run.
Before the chickens even left the coop D'Artagnan darted inside, grabbed my brabanter, tried to mate with her, then it looked like he grabbed her by the neck and tried to strangle her.
So, duckies are pretty much locked up when anyone else is in the yard.
Is this normal behaviour though? I know ducks can be territorial, but this seems to go beyond that. Is because he is maturing sexually? or is he just a jerk

Quote:
Maturing sexually, and yes they can be little jerks about it.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom