Runner puberty question...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JJchiknshak, Jul 13, 2010.

1. JJchiknshak

JJchiknshak Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    wellsburg, Wv.
    My 2 newest Runners Ella & Archie are now... oh I have to count... About 15 weeks old.
    Ella has started flirting with me already... About 2 weeks ago I think. Running towards me head bobbing, quacking up a storm.

But my question is, when is Archie going to figure out what his job is??? He's my first drake. This is only my 2nd year with ducks. I started with 2 girls.

Also anyone have any idea what color ducklings I might get from a chocolate drake crossed with either a fawn & white, or a black?
    Just curious. And I've already seen that duck color calculator thing... I don't really get it. lol

THANKS!

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have a WH drake about that age. So far he knows he is supposed to climb on the girl's backs, but once he does he looks all confused and then just wanders off [​IMG]

3. JJchiknshak

JJchiknshak Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    wellsburg, Wv.
    I don't think Archie has even figured that out yet. lol [​IMG]

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have all girls. Still, each is developing at her own pace. Of the eleven, one has been laying since 6-17, and six have yet to begin. They are all the same age (19 weeks if I recall correctly). So it doesn't seem odd that your drake hasn't gotten into the swing of things yet.

Storey's Guide tells me that a brown drake (if it has two brown dilution or buff dilution genes) and a black duck whose genes are both black will produce black and brown ducklings, sex-linked. Black males and brown females.

Since I doubt you have a genetic decoder, looks like we will have to wait and see exactly how it turns out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by