Running incubator, how long?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farrier!, Sep 24, 2009.

1. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I seem to keep using both my styrofoam incubators almost nonstop. They are getting short breaks for cleaning and that is about it.
    How long can I expect them to work before I need to replace parts? Months? a year or more.... [​IMG]
    years???? [​IMG]

The turning with a new motor is helpful too but not in as much use but that could change shortly to full time also.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Not sure but I would also like to know answers on this. I may be running mine a lot starting this next spring.

3. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    If I get a 3rd incubator as a back up I will just end up filling it too...[​IMG]
    I really want a cabinet bator.....
    oh well

4. Elliemaeburt

Elliemaeburt Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2009
    yeah so do I. I am thinking about making my own. I like the way one is shown on here. The water is in a pan at the top along with the heating element.

5. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    farrier! :

If I get a 3rd incubator as a back up I will just end up filling it too...[​IMG]
    I really want a cabinet bator.....
    oh well

I just got one(cabinet) from a gentleman in WV....holds up to 150 eggs!! 2 Trays with auto-turner. Took me a bit to "tweak it" to the right temps(I added a computer fan to get the 2 trays more consistent in temp)....but I have 90 eggs in there now. Gonna be using my stryofoam bators as hatchers only since I will be able to "stagger hatches" using the big bator.

Cost was about $200 I think. Its nothing fancy like the big GQFs, etc, but seems to work well

PM me if interested and I will look up his info for you​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by