running out of options, please HELP!!!!!!!

I'd give her a broad spectrum antibiotic, something for parasites and have you checked if she has any mites?

Just recently, like several months ago, we received new chickens, one day one of them seemed off balance, she dropped her head and was trembling. My husband was worried she had Newcastle and we quickly gave her the antibiotic (one shot daily for four days) by day four she was perfectly fine; here in my country it's called oxichem it has Oxytetracycline (now we keep it just in case we see any bird with respiratory distress).
Also just recently we have a young rooster that was lethargic, his wattle was pail and he was stumbling, he'd open and drop his wings slightly, we'd seen he had a few mites but he'd go into dust baths so we figured it'd go away (this is the first time we've had chickens), so we bought a talcum for it (clean guard) and we put it under his feathers and in the cloaca area and immediately the parasites started coming out like crazy (we're sure he was staring to show signs of anemia) now he's starting to get better, moves around more, he eats well and we try to give him protein rich treats so he'll gain strength. We gave all the others the same talcum treatment just in case.

Guess I'd try all those things. Whenever an animal is introduced to a new environment (even humans) parasites or respiratory diseases might occur, I'd cover the basics, and then go from there.

Her poop indicates that she is not eating enough. Look into crop issues while you're waiting for the more experienced people to respond. See if you can entice her to eat... scrambled egg? yogurt? her favorite treat?

The poop pictures really provide a lot of information, so thank you for posting them.

She could have some sort of reproductive problem or infection going on. She is probably not egg bound, since she is passing droppings. I would try to get vet care or at least an antibiotic such as Fish Mox amoxicillin, which you can sometimes find at TSC or feed stores, but can get online easily. Baytril (enrofloxacin) is another that can be used, but either one requires egg withdrawal time of a couple of weeks. If you have not wormed her, I would also do that and Valbazen or SafeGuard are good ones.

i’m not sure if you can see from the photos but her comb is definitely faded, but not purple, her abdomen is slightly swollen

her crop was clearing, not anymore, i’m about to check though. the egg was very small but when we cracked it it was mostly yolk actually. photo below. she is not on calcium, none of our flock has ever had calcium problems so we don’t see the need, she’s on layer crumble, is that not enough?View attachment 2604869

Some don’t metabolize calcium as well. If her shells are strong, that is probably not the issue.

She could have some sort of reproductive problem or infection going on. She is probably not egg bound, since she is passing droppings. I would try to get vet care or at least an antibiotic such as Fish Mox amoxicillin, which you can sometimes find at TSC or feed stores, but can get online easily. Baytril (enrofloxacin) is another that can be used, but either one requires egg withdrawal time of a couple of weeks. If you have not wormed her, I would also do that and Valbazen or SafeGuard are good ones.
ok here’s my current plan, let me know if this is good. first, when i get home i’ll go and see if i can get some antibiotics. i have two tractor supply’s near me, i’ll check both. while i’m out i’ll get some yogurt and look at chicken treats high in protein. if i can’t find antibiotics i’ll order online. if she doesn’t improve we’ll give her a break and then hit her with some safe guard. if none of this works, vet

also: i forgot to mention how much water she’s been drinking. it’s a LOT. we had her on electrolytes and she was fine but then all of a sudden we gave her normal water and she wouldn’t stop drinking. she drank until she threw up this egg white type liquid. she’s still drinking but not really eating as far as i can tell. i hope she survives, when i checked her this morning she was pretty bad

image.jpg

update: she’s not much better than this morning. im going to give her eggs so she can eat. she is pumping her tail and breathing pretty heavy, not looking good folks

Drinking a lot of water can sometimes be a sign of a crop disorder. Her crop should be empty in early morning before she has had food or water, and then fill up by evening. If it feels full and puffy or hard in the AM, there may be something wrong. Crop disorders and a slow to empty crop may also be signs of another main problem, such as reproductive problems.

Drinking a lot of water can sometimes be a sign of a crop disorder. Her crop should be empty in early morning before she has had food or water, and then fill up by evening. If it feels full and puffy or hard in the AM, there may be something wrong. Crop disorders and a slow to empty crop may also be signs of another main problem, such as reproductive problems.
thinking it might be a crop problem now, any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom