Runny butt

Ole rooster

Songster
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
Milner, Georgia
I have a BO somewhere around 28 week that is eating what all the other are eating and doing all the same things, but she is runny as all get out. Most night on the roost where all the rest or pooping, she's spraying. Just a glob of brown. I've cleaned off her bottom once and now it all poopy again. She lays a pretty nice egg and it's clean even with a poopy butt. She run to get treats and doesn't seem to have any side affects for what ever is wrong.

Any ideas what her deal is. I'm thinking of culling her, just because if she has something I don't want the other to get it too. I got all 8 of mine from the same gentleman at the same time. He sisters are not having a problem. I just really hate to kill her.
sad.png

Can anybody offer assistance on this deal?

Have you wormed the flock? When? With what? Repeated?

Search "worming with Valbazen"... "worming".. "giving oral medications".. "Dosages of Valbazen"... "normal poop" (will come up with a thread and a link to a UK site with pictures of all the normal poops).... not that her poop is normal.. it may be that she got worms before and/or has them worse than the others... or something else?

I don't think anyone here would advocate culling her without at least trying some treatment... all chickens get worms. All chickens have "issues" or "illnesses", or "injuries" as some time.... they all need treatment and care or medications at some time.

You might isolate her from the others... if you can.

The very first thing in this "topic" of "emergencies/diseases/injuries, etc." is a list of questions to answer in your post if you are having a problem and need assistance and advice.. it is a "how to" on what questions to answer so as to get the best, most informed responses here.

You can trust posts on worming by dawg53... use the Search here on BYC to search as noted above....

I don't know how many chickens you have.. but, many will "poop" differently each time they poop.. differently each day... it is normal for there to be a variety of poops, as chickens pee and poop... all together.. good to look at what's normal and what's not on the link provided if you search "normal poop".

Best of luck.

Then I have another question. If Dawg says he worms every 3 months, and two weeks during worming period the eggs are to be discarded, is having chicken worth the cost if the period of getting eggs is so limited? It almost seems a waste. Not counting slow down from less daylight, molting and now another month of tossing eggs, so much time is lost on egg production I'm wondering why have chickens? I have a purpose for the chickens and being a pet ain't one of um.

Really confused now.

Quote:
You dont have to necessarily worm your birds just because one of them has runny diarrhea. Nor do you have to worm your birds as often as I do, it depends on your soil and environmental conditions. Diarrhea can be caused by many things; changes in feed, treats, medicines, hot temps, vitamins and other additives in feed or water etc...
Trim back the fluff and feathers using scissors on your BO's rear end for a "clear shot" to the ground, that will eliminate poopy butt. Now to find the cause; I recommend feeding her layer feed only and freshwater only to drink. Additives can cause diarrhea. The only thing I add in my birds water is ACV. I rarely give treats/scraps, including scratch and BOSS. But that is up to you as to what you feed them.
Symptoms of worm infestation include slacked off or stopped eating/drinking, slowed/stopped egg laying, lethargic, sleepy/eyes closed, generally not acting like a chicken should. It's possible to see worms in feces as well. Diarrhea can be a cause as well. If she's running to get treats, I doubt it worms.

Thanks a bunch on that. I have washed her rear and trimed back the feathers with some larger scissors. It was good for about 2 days and it slowly started coming back. It seems like all it needs is just a drop to stick and it starts all over again. I've been wondering if the dried meal worms could be causing it. This perticular pullet has always been the one to stand back. She just doesn't like to get with the rest and tussle for the treats. I'll stop giving her any at all. As far as doing what the others do, she's just a normal as can be.

The water has had the ACV in it for the last 2 weeks. I was hoping that would help but I haven't seen a change. I'm putting the Wazine in the water in the morning for everybody. I see what that does.

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom