Runny nose along with gurgling sounds

Roo Boy

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 9, 2013
Ohio
I have read some threads about CRD and we have it in some new 9month old red sex linked hens. We just got them and noticed after we got home that they have runny noses and make a gurgle sound when perched. Should I used duramyacin?

My wife just told me that our little boy just accidentally released them from their quarantined area and they have intermingled with our other birds. Should we dose them too?

I've had this problem in part of my flock. We have our flock spread out in several buildings so as to hedge our bets disease-wise and not lose the whole flock. So far the system is working, because only one building is affected.

A seasoned chicken keeper and breeder who's become a mentor to me told me that even though you might give antibiotics, the disease, which is often viral, will still linger, and the animal might not make a full recovery but rather be droopy, not 100%, or may never lay again. This is substantiated by Storey's Book of Chickens. I have made the difficult decision to cull chickens exhibiting these symptoms. So far I have culled 5 of the 40 in that barn.

That's not to say that the other chickens don't have it just because they're not exhibiting symptoms. They could have it and be carriers of the disease. Really I should probably put down the whole barn and start over, but I'm not ready to do that.

Good you have the birds quarantined but sorry to hear they got out.

I think going forward, I'll stick to day-olds from a hatchery, or go with folks selling from NPIP-accredited operations, or raise myself from my own stock. This disease thing is hard to deal with emotionally, and also from a production standpoint.

Best success on whatever you decide. I'm not sure if I've helped you any.

Mycoplasma G (CRD) is not a virus, but is bacterial. There are many respiratory diseases, some viral some bacterial, but even the viral ones can cause secondary infections. Duramycin will treat some of these, but a better antibiotic is Tylan 50 for a few birds, Tylan Powder for a large group, Gallimycin, Spectinomycin, and Lincomycin. If coryza is suspected (usually has a bad odor) then Dimethox or Albon would be good. Duramycin may be the cheapest except for Tylan 50. I would separate the birds back out in case they didn't get exposed, but you should maintain a closed flock. These diseases are chronic, and all of them will be carriers. Read more here: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I talked to a vet today (a friend) who is familiar with chickens. She felt it was probably CRD. She gave me oxytetracycline. I will treat them for 5 days and hopefully things will clear up. She also commented that CRD is very common in chickens.

Their congestion is appearing to be loosening up after two doses. The dosage in case anyone needs it is 1 tablespoon mixed with 1/2cup of water. Dose the birds with 1 cc twice daily. Do this for 5 days. She wants an update at that time. She also said the withdrawal period is 24 days for eggs.

I'm following up--things are getting worse. I got the Tylan 50 powder, and I'm on day 6. I started losing meat bird chicks (6 weeks old) a couple days before I got the powder. I was losing 1 a day, and I've been losing 1-3 a day even with the powder. I'm getting extremely discouraged and frustrated. I don't know what to do. The chicks are due to be slaughtered this week or next, and with some of them still sneezing and coughing, I don't think it's wise for us to eat them, and for sure I'm going to have to call my customer I was custom raising part of these for and tell her it's a no go. Interestingly enough, I have some ornamental chicks in with these meat chicks, and I haven't lost any of them. They appear to be hale and hearty, no coughs or sneezing.

Can someone please help me? I'm at the end of my rope. Thanks in advance.

Im sorry that you are having to deal with this. As your friend told you CRD is common, but you don't want it in your flock. I'm not sure about eating a chicken with CRD--it doesn't sound very appealing, but I don't know if it is harmful. I would be tempted to cull my flock and clean very thoroughly, then start over in 3-4 weeks. Even the birds who don't appear ill are now carriers. Another choice is to close the flock--none in and none out. Many people have positive CRD flocks. Eat the eggs, then when all chickens are gone, start over after cleaning.

More info: In the month since I wrote the original post, I have closed the flock. I was trying not to cull the WHOLE flock, so I culled 9 chickens who were symptomatic. Then we scrubbed the barn down thoroughly with bleach water, including the nests. So I guess I could have some carriers.

Another question--I'm needing clarification: you're saying that there are flocks that are positive CRD, so do I cull the whole flock (meat birds + ornamental + other chickens) or not? All told, there are 50+ birds in that barn.

No, culling is strictly a personal choice. If you have a closed flock now, you can eat the eggs and use the meat of birds not sick. With CRD they may get sick when they are stressed. You just can't sell or give away birds or hatching eggs because your chickens are carriers. Many people have MG or CRD positive flocks. There are numerous threads here on BYC how to live with it. I would recommend that you get your flock tested for CRD by your state or county NPIP tester--it only takes 1 chicken. Many people use the antibiotic Denagard to prevent illness in their flock, or to treat a sick bird (different dosages.) Below are some links to reading about CRD positive flocks and the use of Denagard:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/455704/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-mg-kill-flock-or-not
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/397069/dosages-for-denagard
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/397069/dosages-for-denagard

Back
Top Bottom