Runny nose and occasional sneezing

Meranaldar

Chirping
Mar 17, 2021
Hello, one of my 4 chickens (about 7 months old) has had a bit of a runny nose (but only out of one side) and occasional little sneezes. This has been going on for some time now.
Also some runny poo, but seems to be mostly with cecal poos, normal ones seem well-formed most of the time, sometimes a little on the slushy side.
I'm in Australia, Brisbane, so it's winter, but not especially cold (gets down to about 10 C, 50 F at night).

Otherwise, she's behaving like her normal self, eating well, active, laying eggs. None of the others has shown any signs of picking it up.

I've ordered some Oxymav B (Oxytetracycline antibiotic), though it hasn't arrived yet. Is that a good idea?
Not sure how I'm going to give it just to her and not the others, she would be quite stressed if I tried separating her.

Well, as to that I never have managed to get them to really use the coop, except to lay eggs. They sleep on the edge between the coop and the secure run, so it never gets closed, so lack of ventilation is never an issue.

I never worried about it too much since they're safe, seem happy enough with it and chickens survive in much colder climates.

You may want to just observe her for a while to see if the symptoms resolve all together. Possibly respiratory illness. If the sneezing become consistent or she starts to have more symptoms like difficulty breathing, mucous, bubbles from the eyes, facial swelling, etc. then treating symptoms with an antibiotic may be helpful.

That’s what I was hoping for at first, though it has been a few weeks now (maybe 3 or so, I'm not really sure). She does seem to be sneezing a bit more the last couple of days. None of those other symptoms though.

I find myself in a similar situation. I have 10 chickens and only one with an occasional runny nose. No other symptoms of CRD. Did your chicken ever resolve?

She did eventually. Not really sure what the cause of it was.
She also went broody for the first time shortly after it cleared up, though I'm guessing that’s probably unrelated.

Back
Top Bottom