Runny nose... I think. What do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ginger Chic, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Ginger Chic

Ginger Chic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast Georgia
    Truthfully, Dash noticed that each of the 8-week old pullets that we brought home today have moisture around their nostrils. Is this something that we should be concerned about? When we got our other chickens they were mature so we just tossed them into the backyard and didn't stress too much over them. Now we just don't know.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  2. Dash Riprock

Dash Riprock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    Northeast GA
    Bump

Come on folks. We really need an answer.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    My rooster had a runny nose and was sneezing with goop coming out his nostrils. At that point, the vet put him on antibiotics. The vet was only concerned because of the snotty goop. Before that point, he had a wait and see attitude. If everybody looks good and is eating good, I would just keep a close eye on them. I don't believe in medicating if it's not needed.
    JMHO

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If its just clear, sometimes that happens right after they drink and get water in the nares. If they eat too fast, they may snort and that happens, too. Snot is a different thing altogether.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  5. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Watch for snot.

6. Dash Riprock

Dash Riprock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    Northeast GA
    Thanks for the reply. One of the pullets makes a yawning motion, but the other 2 have not done this. What gives?

BTW the moisture around the nostrils is clear. The yawning one made a sound like she was snarkin' up a loogie [​IMG]. Man, I was much less worried about my son when he was a child. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dash

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by