Runny nose on bunny

Snowygirl

Songster
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
Mirkwood
Hi all,

We just got our bunnies on Sat. one of which is a Netherland Dwarf named Patches.

Just today we noticed that his nose was a little bit runny....and I was wondering what

the problem might be. This is my first run with bunnies, so I didn't know if a little

dampness on his nose is normal or not. His nose isn't dirty or red either. Thanks!!!
smile.png

Is he sneezing? Look at the insides of his front paws - does the fur look damp and/or matted together?

Worst case scenario is a real pain-in-the-neck disease called Snuffles.Snuffles usually has a thick, whitish discharge associated with it. You may not see lots of this white snot with Snuffles, it may just be a bit now and again.

On the other hand, it could be an allergy, or a reaction to dust or some other irritant. Hard to say.

Good luck with him, and congrats on the new bunnies!

I simple dampness under the nose is usually indicative of stress. It's fine...however if it is snuffles most breeders tend to cull the rabbit as it's highly contagious and can destroy a herd.

They can "recover" but they always carry it and remain infectious so he'd have to be your only bun. You're looking for snot, white, yellow, cream, doesn't matter the color. If there's no actual snot it's probably not snuffles.

Back
Top Bottom