Runny Nose Pullets Need advice

Ritakprkns

Chirping
Feb 18, 2023
I have 2 12 week old pullets who have runny noses. One seemed to have labored breathing. Both have good eating and drinking. I read that I could give colloidal silver. Been using it on them for about 4 days now. The breathing appears normal now but still runny noses. I just read about amoxicillin which we have. Should I use this as the next treatment? Lost here. ❤️‍🩹

Can you post photos?

A video of how they move around and breath may be helpful - upload video to youtube and provide a link.

What is your weather like?
How much ventilation in your coop?

If they are eating/drinking well, that's good.

A runny nose can be from a number of things from dusty bedding, getting feed in the nostrils to respiratory disease. If they are acting fine, then I would monitor them.

If you are wanting to treat respiratory disease like Mycoplasma, then use an antibiotic like Tylosin, Tiamulin or Tetracyclines. Amoxicillin is not effective, MG has no cell wall for it to work on.

Can you post photos?

A video of how they move around and breath may be helpful - upload video to youtube and provide a link.

A runny nose can be from a number of things from dusty bedding, getting feed in the nostrils to respiratory disease. If they are acting fine, then I would monitor them.

If you are wanting to treat respiratory disease like Mycoplasma, then use an antibiotic like Tylosin, Tiamulin or Tetracyclines. Amoxicillin is not effective, MG has no cell wall for it to work on.
We are in SoCal desert. Had warm weather and then some rain and then cooler temps. It was after that(about 1 week) that I noticed the runny noses. They are both eating and drinking well. And both are energetic. They are currently separated from the other young ones. We had them in a brooder pen inside of our chicken run with the big girls. Now they are in our home in a room and in their original pen. We were hoping to integrate them all this next week.
Rain had a runny nose and seemed to be breathing hard at first. She is doing much better today. Very little nasal drip and breathing is much better too.
Hot Sauce has runny nose but her breathing is fine.
Can you post photos?

Here’s a clip of the girls this morning. Still runny noses but are alert and spunky.

We are in SoCal desert. Had warm weather and then some rain and then cooler temps. It was after that(about 1 week) that I noticed the runny noses. They are both eating and drinking well. And both are energetic. They are currently separated from the other young ones. We had them in a brooder pen inside of our chicken run with the big girls. Now they are in our home in a room and in their original pen. We were hoping to integrate them all this next week.
Rain had a runny nose and seemed to be breathing hard at first. She is doing much better today. Very little nasal drip and breathing is much better too.

Here’s a clip of the girls this morning. Still runny noses but are alert and spunky.

Attachments

• D89D34DD-C3F9-4E61-8005-08690EBFBD1C.jpeg
    D89D34DD-C3F9-4E61-8005-08690EBFBD1C.jpeg
    726.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 21FBE228-6F56-4C66-B14B-8C427F628CC7.jpeg
    21FBE228-6F56-4C66-B14B-8C427F628CC7.jpeg
    784.1 KB · Views: 6
  • EE453B52-7912-4729-BF4F-24F69A3387FB.jpeg
    EE453B52-7912-4729-BF4F-24F69A3387FB.jpeg
    746.8 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom