Runny nose, watery eyes....what to do!!!!

Flowerbh

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 24, 2012
Dawsonville, GA
It started with one small chick who got a runny nose and watery eyes. She sleeps in a giant dog crate in the garage with a few other chicks. Now two of my adult birds have it. The adults stay in the coop, but free range during the day. The small chick is so "dry" feeling.. she is wasting away it seems. One eye is now matted shut. The adult chickens sound raspy. I bought some tetracycline(sp) and have it in the water, but they don't seem to be drinking it. Should I go get some of that Tylan 50 and inject it? Does anyone have any suggestions at what I am dealing with here?

A little raw garlic juice, apple cider vinegar, scrambled eggs, yogurt, that's what I give my chickens when they have colds
roll.png
Any sneezing or coughing? Check for moldy feed, it's a HUGE cause of casual respiratory problems, as well as other damp conditions, too much ammonia in the bedding, not enough ventilation. You can put some human eye drops in the chicks eyes as well. Good luck and let us know how they do.

I always give them 1cc of penicillin with 1/2cc of tylan 50 mixed together in same syringe for that injected for adult and just make dose smaller the smaller the bird. I mix it because tylan can be destructive to tissue and isn't when mixed like that. I even inject it on babies and I will put tylan 50 injectable in the their drinking water too. 3 cc per gallon for them to drink for 5 days. If they aren't eating or drinking i will take syringe and either drop tube in crop to fill them up with ensure or I will give them drinks of it with syringe to make them get some nutrition. Give it slow and make sure they swallow and don't choke them. I will boil some eggs and shells and all crush them and add dry 1 minute oatmeal and take potatoe masher and crush it up together for them to eat. This is like chicken candy and is so good for them. They will eat it when they feel bad and won't eat anything else. I also give them bites of this pushed towards back of throat so they have to swallow it and give them something to eat too when they won't eat. Sick chickens tend to be cold so give them light if it is real cold there. They have caught a croup from someone who had chickens with this croup.

Last edited:
It started with one small chick who got a runny nose and watery eyes. She sleeps in a giant dog crate in the garage with a few other chicks. Now two of my adult birds have it. The adults stay in the coop, but free range during the day. The small chick is so "dry" feeling.. she is wasting away it seems. One eye is now matted shut. The adult chickens sound raspy. I bought some tetracycline(sp) and have it in the water, but they don't seem to be drinking it. Should I go get some of that Tylan 50 and inject it? Does anyone have any suggestions at what I am dealing with here?
i have got one the very same and one that past away this morning , had it only a week and lost a lot of body weight , put garlic in there water and nutri drops but i think they are not strong enough to fight it off but as soon as i seen a runny nose i moved them away from the coop and in a brooder . mine / were are 8 weeks old . i dont think the other one will last tonight
idunno.gif
i know if you can get it tylan is good . hope they get better soon
hugs.gif

Chickens do not get "colds" they get respritory infections....

Eh, I've been using them almost interchangeably, as I would with humans. When I say "cold," I mean a casual, non-contagious respiratory infection, which chickens do get and which can be treated with simple methods. Something more serious and I'd agree with the others about using antibiotics and other meds, but it's not clear to me from the OP what kind of infection their chickens have.

OK, so I know I don't have any mold problems....been VERY careful about that. I did get a few new chicks from a breeder....maybe brought in something with them. The free ranging adult hens (only 8) were all so healthy until this "cold" (to use the word loosely).... now all the chickens seem down with it except for 3. Just not their peppy selves! Poor babies! The little sick chicks seems to love the boiled egg yolk and water combo I gave her this morning....thanks for the suggestion. She seems a little better today. I know she is lonely and misses her flock mates, but will have to wait a while longer. I am hoping this is all just a casual respiratory thing and will pass soon without deaths. I love all my little chickens. They are like pets to us. My Barred Rock is one of my husbands favorites as she loves getting in his 4 wheeler, and on his tractor and into any car that has its door opened. She just loves vehicles! If I believed in reincarnation, I would be betting her previous life had something to do with cars! hahahha....

Also, I am very careful about a clean coop and run. I clean up every few days and use DE a lot. Also, they free range so not really in any one place for long. So, I will continue the yolk thing, may add some Apple cider vinegar to their water and will get some more yogurt, too. Will watch and see.

Thank you all for your replies! I don't know what I would do without my BYC "friends"! I don't know anyone else with chickens to talk to...so thanks again! Will post how it all turns out!

Back
Top Bottom