Runny nose??

TAMMACLEAN

Songster
7 Years
Apr 1, 2012
Maine
I just went out to lock my chickens in thier coop for the night and noticed that 1 of my chickens has a runny nose. She seems to be just fine otherwise. She's eating and drinking fine, at least as far as I know. What else should I keep an eye out for? Is there anything I should give her? She's a white plymouth rock and she's only 8 weeks old. Thanks!

Is her nose runny or does she have excess water up her nose? Youngsters are especially prone to sticking their beaks too far down in water and getting water up their nose. Separate her and watch her to determine if it is a discharge or merely water. Note what color it is, consistency and etc. Remember that chickens sneeze due to normal things such as dust in their nose or something irritating their nose and not necessarily are they sick...the same goes for "runny" noses. Determine what it is for sure first. Good luck and report back with more info if the symptoms continue, worsen or change.

So it seems like everytime I go out to check on my chickens a different one has a runny nose and the one that had it before does not.
he.gif

Is there something I could just give all my chickens? They are different ages. 2 are 11 weeks, 9 are 8 weeks, & 10 are 3 1/2 weeks. They all have been sneezing before they were even outside but if there is something I can give them that will help then I'd like to. Thanks

Okay what you are describing does not sound good. You could very well be dealing with a respiratory disease. If they were all sneezing and now runny noses are circulating, it appears to be contagious and respiratory in nature. Unfortunately, you cannot just "give" them something and fix it and here are things you need to think about, consider or determine...

1. Exactly what they have. There are various types of respiratory illness and they can be either fungal, viral or bacterial. Treatment depends on what the exact problem is.

2. Antibiotics come in various medications because they treat various illnesses. They do not work for everything and one may work with fungal whereas another works with bacterial and etc.

3. What are your intentions for your birds....pets or resale?
4. Do you have access to an avian vet? Would you be willing or able to have one or all examined by a vet?

Questions I have and my opinion is:

Why are chicks are these varying ages housed together right now? Where did the chicks come from meaning did the age groups come from different sources? Are you willing to consider culling the entire flock of youngsters?

My opinion and suggestions are this....I would seek a vet exam or at a minimum, sacrifice one of the chicks showing symptoms to a State testing facility for appropriate testing to know what I was dealing with. If you are dealing with a contagious respiratory disease, culling the flock is the smart decision. Respiratory disease cannot be cured and you would need to close your flock meaning no new birds in and no birds out EVER until the flock dies off.

Research respiratory illnesses and diseases in poultry and manage the situation appropriately. I would caution you to be very wary of allowing any other birds in contact with these chicks and/or the ground they are on. Respiratory disease can spread like wildfire and it will infect an entire flock in a flash.

Also consider this...what type of bedding are they are? Is it dusty where they are? Is it drafty or windy where they are? Is the discharge from their nose colorless and/or odorless. Is their poo normal?

You need to be able to answer these questions and get to the bottom of this. Can you give more information and answer some of the questions I have asked so that I can try to supply you with some resources or further information?

You say "go out" to check. Are they in a coop? What is the bedding? How much ammonia buildup is there? Is their coop made of brand new plywood and caulk? Did you buy them from someone or get them straight from a hatchery? It's hard to say what you're dealing with without more information.

Okay what you are describing does not sound good. You could very well be dealing with a respiratory disease. If they were all sneezing and now runny noses are circulating, it appears to be contagious and respiratory in nature. Unfortunately, you cannot just "give" them something and fix it and here are things you need to think about, consider or determine...

1. Exactly what they have. There are various types of respiratory illness and they can be either fungal, viral or bacterial. Treatment depends on what the exact problem is.

2. Antibiotics come in various medications because they treat various illnesses. They do not work for everything and one may work with fungal whereas another works with bacterial and etc.

3. What are your intentions for your birds....pets or resale?
4. Do you have access to an avian vet? Would you be willing or able to have one or all examined by a vet?

Questions I have and my opinion is:

Why are chicks are these varying ages housed together right now? Where did the chicks come from meaning did the age groups come from different sources? Are you willing to consider culling the entire flock of youngsters?

My opinion and suggestions are this....I would seek a vet exam or at a minimum, sacrifice one of the chicks showing symptoms to a State testing facility for appropriate testing to know what I was dealing with. If you are dealing with a contagious respiratory disease, culling the flock is the smart decision. Respiratory disease cannot be cured and you would need to close your flock meaning no new birds in and no birds out EVER until the flock dies off.

Research respiratory illnesses and diseases in poultry and manage the situation appropriately. I would caution you to be very wary of allowing any other birds in contact with these chicks and/or the ground they are on. Respiratory disease can spread like wildfire and it will infect an entire flock in a flash.

Also consider this...what type of bedding are they are? Is it dusty where they are? Is it drafty or windy where they are? Is the discharge from their nose colorless and/or odorless. Is their poo normal?

You need to be able to answer these questions and get to the bottom of this. Can you give more information and answer some of the questions I have asked so that I can try to supply you with some resources or further information?
They are all together because the younger ones needed to room and it has been btween 55-60 in the evening and between 60-80 during the day. I also have a heat lamp in the coop and a temp gauge that I have in my house so I can see the temp inthe coop.

It's not windy or anything. the coop is well insulated and they have vents on it too. We use pine shavings for them. I clean out parts of the coop every week. LIke under the roosting bars. They get fresh water and food every other day. I was thinking of give them Sav a Chick in the water. They have been sneezing since before they were even outside. These are our pet chickens but we do have some in the house that have just hatched that will be for breeding and selling.

Everything is normal. They eat well, they drink well, the poop all looks normal too.

It just seems like I go out and a different one has a runny nose. Yesterday and today no one has had a runny nose, oh and it's clear too. No color or smells or anything.

They go out in the run everyday and enjoy themselves. They will be allowed to raom in the yard but I'm just so afraid that something might happen that I haven't let them yet.

They are pretty happy and active chickens as far as I can tell.

We don't really want to cull the whole flock as these are our pets and my kids and I just love them to pieces.

Any advice is accepted though. I did get some VetRx at the store and was going to use this to see if it would help. But like I said no one has a runny nose today.
I would be willing to take one or two to the vets if I need to.

If it's just clear and there are no other symptoms, I wouldn't panic about it. It could be some environmental irritation. Sometimes when they drink they dunk their nares and water runs back out, looking like discharge. If it isn't actual snot, and nothing else seems wrong, I'm not sure there is a real issue. You could add some organic Apple Cider Vinegar with "the mother" in it (sediment, unfiltered type) to their water, which can help sometimes with irritations, it seems. It can be beneficial, contains vitamins and minerals, etc.

Hold off on the VetRx. It's aromatic, which may be too much for chicks; it may be of minor benefit if a bird has clogged nares, but yours don't.

Last edited:
one of mine has a runny nose eating and drinkin but seems alittle wobberly on feet today only anyone have any ideals

I'd just keep an eye on them. Put a little apple cider vinegar in the water, it's good for all things. Do a little research on it so you have a bigger idea what it does.

Also, my best friend is a vet and she has educated me on giving them antibiotics with a syringe only when needed. I've had to do this to the whole flock only once. They recovered from their respiratory infection nicely.

My hens & Roo are my pets too. I just love them all.

Back
Top Bottom