Runny Nose

CandQ

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 4, 2013
Gig Harbor, WA
One of my 3-week old ducklings has a runny nose. It's clear and really drippy - like water, but I noticed it after they'd been away from their water for maybe about an hour. Should I be worried? He's otherwise acting normal but I'm really concerned. Thanks.

One of my 3-week old ducklings has a runny nose. It's clear and really drippy - like water, but I noticed it after they'd been away from their water for maybe about an hour. Should I be worried? He's otherwise acting normal but I'm really concerned. Thanks.
Do you have a waterer where they can actually dunk their heads into and clean out their nares and eyes? other than maybe something in there causing a bit of irritation as long as it's clear I wouldn't worry too much, also put some ACV into the water they use for head washing it has an antibioticc affect and can kill bacteria. 1Tab. to 1 gal of water.

M
Do you have a waterer where they can actually dunk their heads into and clean out their nares and eyes? other than maybe something in there causing a bit of irritation as long as it's clear I wouldn't worry too much, also put some ACV into the water they use for head washing it has an antibioticc affect and can kill bacteria. 1Tab. to 1 gal of water.

Miss Lydia, thank you. They do have water they can dip their heads in (and play in). About an hour after this post, I noticed that he would start shaking like crazy when standing to the point where he would need to sit/lay down. I'm so upset - I called the vet and don't care how much it costs to make sure he's ok. I just have to wait now for 2 more hours ... I'm so worried.

M
Miss Lydia, thank you. They do have water they can dip their heads in (and play in). About an hour after this post, I noticed that he would start shaking like crazy when standing to the point where he would need to sit/lay down. I'm so upset - I called the vet and don't care how much it costs to make sure he's ok. I just have to wait now for 2 more hours ... I'm so worried.
Please post when you get home and let us know what the vet says. I hope it's not something serious..

Please post when you get home and let us know what the vet says.  I hope it's not something serious..

Thank you so much for your concern ... It was nice to open this up and see someone rooting for my little guy!
Cheese is okay, we think. It could be an electrolyte imbalance, it could be lead poising (which I and the vet highly doubt so I wasn't going to pay $150 for an x-ray to find out, unless he gets severely worse), or it could be growing pains. He's got some medicine for the week that his brother Quackers will also get just in case it's the electrolytes and they also gave some anti-inflammatories in case it's growing pains. For now it's just wait and see and love him to death!

Thank you so much for your concern ... It was nice to open this up and see someone rooting for my little guy!
Cheese is okay, we think. It could be an electrolyte imbalance, it could be lead poising (which I and the vet highly doubt so I wasn't going to pay $150 for an x-ray to find out, unless he gets severely worse), or it could be growing pains. He's got some medicine for the week that his brother Quackers will also get just in case it's the electrolytes and they also gave some anti-inflammatories in case it's growing pains. For now it's just wait and see and love him to death!
Thanks for updating, I hope you see big improvement real quick, are you giving your ducklings niacin or brewers yeast? Let us know how he is doing in the morning, they sure get close to your heart quick don't they.
smile.png

I'm just confused. My vet said to not give the niacin supplement right now, but I'm reading everywhere that says they need it. I don't know what to do. I put them in the tub tonight and Cheese couldn't even stay afloat! The little guy used to fall asleep floating in water and all of a sudden his front end if he stopped kicking would slowly start to go under. I have no idea what to do or what's going on :(

I'm just confused. My vet said to not give the niacin supplement right now, but I'm reading everywhere that says they need it. I don't know what to do. I put them in the tub tonight and Cheese couldn't even stay afloat! The little guy used to fall asleep floating in water and all of a sudden his front end if he stopped kicking would slowly start to go under. I have no idea what to do or what's going on
sad.png
At 3 weeks old he can become water logged pretty quick and if not swimming and kicking around the tub thats most likely what your seeing. I'd be more worried about giving the lil one the anti inflamatory upsetting his lil tummy. keeping him on the probiotic will help with that. maybe the reason the vet said not to give the niacin right now is that along with everything else your giving that may have been just a little much. as soon as you can stop the other things start back on the niacin. How is he doing this morning.

Hi Miss Lydia!
I seriously can't tell you how much I appreciate your help!
He's still wobbly this morning, and it will be the first complete day of his meds. I still really think he needs Niacin. The stuff I was giving him was in combo with other electrolytes. I'm wondering where I can just get strictly Niacin and start that for them because I just want to get his poor legs working :( His poop is still runny, but the probiotics are supposed to help with that. He ran and played with me but as soon as I made him stop in his place to check his legs, he would plop down.
I had no idea about being water logged. What does that mean? He's not hurting, is he? He loves water - will this always affect him?

Hi Miss Lydia!
I seriously can't tell you how much I appreciate your help!
He's still wobbly this morning, and it will be the first complete day of his meds. I still really think he needs Niacin. The stuff I was giving him was in combo with other electrolytes. I'm wondering where I can just get strictly Niacin and start that for them because I just want to get his poor legs working
sad.png
His poop is still runny, but the probiotics are supposed to help with that. He ran and played with me but as soon as I made him stop in his place to check his legs, he would plop down.
I had no idea about being water logged. What does that mean? He's not hurting, is he? He loves water - will this always affect him?
Before they get their "Real" feathers the down they have isn't oiled from their oil gland [at top base of their tail.] so they don't have any water replency they can get water logged, one reason we encourage getting ducklings in water with supervision as soon as possible because this gets them preening and gert the oil gland working quicker, nothing to be owrried about completely normal what you say, but another reason why we stress never to leave ducklings alone when in water. I know you haven't but we always stress it. I was told on the goose thread that this person was looking for plain niacin and couldn't find any so they asked the pharmicist and they were told to get slow release niacin and open the capsule the niacin inside the capsule is reg niacin, your ducklings neded 100-150 meg a day added to 1 gal of water, then you can put it into what your using for the waterer. But listen when ducklings get around the age of yours and don't ask me why but i have seen it with my own and have tread others talking about it here, they do lay down alot, will walk some then lay down. but the wobbling is a concern so adding the niacin is a good idea. keep me posted..

Back
Top Bottom