runny, orange poo......r they sick?

lilbreeches

Songster
10 Years
Feb 13, 2009
Delight, AR
Two weeks ago, I followed a recommendation of a fellow BYC'er and fed my chickens the cornmeal and pepper recipe to try and encourage laying. Well, since then, no eggs, but lots of runny orange poo or poo that is real watery looking. Some of the hens have went back to normal poo, but over half have not. Are they sick? did I do something wrong? I would really like eggs but don't know if I made them sick? Any suggestions?

Hi Becky, there is no magic cure to make chickens lay eggs. If folks claimed this worked, it was by coincidence. Hens lay when their body is ready to lay eggs. Of course, keeping them healthy ensures a good layer, so keeping worm and parasite loads at a minimum may help to keep them laying.

As for the stools you're seeing, I would guess it is due to the strange food their body is not accustomed to. I don't think it is anything to be concerned about, but keep an eye for other symptoms.

i second hink's response.

sometimes a stressful change(moving the chicken to a new locale, new foods that are harsh) can cause some poop to be runny and orange-red in color. the watery aspect leads me to believe their systems are running too quickly.

now, that being said, make sure you keep an eye on the situation, as hink recommended. maybe a little yogurt a/o oatmeal may settle they digestive track down a bit.

take all advice (including mine
wink.png
) with a grain of salt. just because it's here on BYC doesn't mean it's correct, true or even close.

it's nice to see that you are a caring chicken mom.
smile.png

thanks so much for your advice. at least I won't keep thinking they are gonna kick out on me anytime soon.
big_smile.png
i will certainly keep an eye on them. thought it may have been the food change (the recipe) but wasn't sure. thanks you guys for giving me your opinions.

Back
Top Bottom