Runny poo - PICTURE - Are my chickens sick?

jeremy

CA Royal Blues
13 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Oakland, CA
I mowed the lawn today and let the girls out after to free range. I noticed that when they pooped it seemed to be a bit wetter than normal. After I saw a few poop like this I decided to take a closer look.

IMG_2810.jpg

The poop came out like a splatter, or a weak shower, not a normal dropping. It was bubbly and there was hardly any white color in the leavings. Are my hens sick?

They're all 1 - 2 years old. I have noticed a decline in egg production lately, however I initially assumed that might be due to a couple different reasons. I recently rehomed my rooster that I've had for about a year, could the stress of being without him cause the girls to become ill? It's been a bit warmer here lately, with highs of 75 - 80 degrees maybe that could be a reason too? They have access to fresh water, food and oyster shell at all times. I've been giving them watermelon to also help with the heat. At least 1, or 1 1/2 melons every week.

I also noticed that a few of the hens looked as if their hackle feathers were starting to molt out and at the base of their tail feathers it was beginning to get lighter too. Do chickens molt in July??? Could this be the cause of the runny poo?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Quote:
It looks totally normal to me. I take time every day to go out in the back yard with a bucket and a spoon (dedicated solely to this dirty job) and scoop up the chicken poop. It keeps the flies down and eliminates most of the landmines so my kids can walk in the yard, so I see all versions of their deposits. I see poops like that often and my hens are well.
These links may be of assistance to you:
http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

http://happyhenhouse.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=poop&action=display&thread=7588

Last edited:
I think my 3 week olds are doing that occasionally. I thought it might be them eating weird stuff while free-ranging… but they all still active and eating so I hasn't worried too much.

If anyone who knows can weight in, it would be appreciated.

Wow, I wasn't expecting such quick responses! Thanks everyone. It calms my nerves to read that y'all are saying everything looks normal. It was the way the poop bubbled that worried me the most.

Could temperature changes effect their health at all? Bay Area summers are notirious for being warm in the daytime, 75+ and then dropping to the high 40s/low 50s at night. All in the course of a couple hours.

Also, do you think the watermelon could be "over hydrating" them? Causing them to have the runs essentially? I think I'll cut back on it for awhile. It hasn't been too hot they're just spoiled rotten and used to getting their treats!
lol.png

They probably are staying good and hydrated in the warmer weather, but that's a good thing. That poop looks pretty full of sand too. We have sand in our run and I see that all the time. I wouldn't think the extra melon is a problem.

Back
Top Bottom