Runny poop & no eggs

onebuggirl

Songster
11 Years
Aug 27, 2008
I have 3 hens that all have poopy butts and haven't laid eggs for 2days. Could this be from the sudden change in weather to cold? What does molt look like.. I know that chicken isn't naked but I haven't seen a ton of feathers. Hlep I don't know what to do. Poopy butts and no eggs?!

Last edited:
Could indeed be the weather.

What are you feeding?

Is everyone looking perky?

Is there some other possibly stressful situation going on around the chicken yard?

Where are you located (state)? If your daylight hours are getting limited, your girls could be moving into winter production mode.

Winter can be a stressful time ~ good for giving some extra scratch or fresh corn on the cob . . . or even some nice warm oatmeal in the morning. Make sure they have plenty of layer pellets, fresh water, grit, oyster shells, and maybe even some nice dark green leafy veggies. I also give my girls a rotation of vitamin / probiotic supplements in their water, but not everyone does this.

Last edited:
In WI. I have a hunch that the nieghbor dog has been coming over and harrassing them. Good thing they are protected. They act normal for the most part. They have been inside the coop an awful lot and 2 I will find stuffed in 1 nesting box..kinda silly. But other than that...nothing odd. I feed them veggie and fruit scraps. They always have layer mash and corn is a night time num num I also give them oatmeal. Do I need to give them oyster shells if I feed them thier egg shells? I can get some if you think I should. Can you feed them cooked brown rice? Also is celery okay, some got in by accident when I had scraps in a bowl. Can you give them too much cayanne pepper...I sometimes do a sprinkle.

Last edited:
Could be upset from a dog scare. No need to do oyster shells if you already have a calcium source. Brown rice is good treat as far as I know. Don't know any benefits of cayenne, but perhaps there are others who do. Don't see that it would hurt. Large amounts of celery could cause excess water in stools, I suppose, but that should end when there is no more celery.
wink.png

Keep an eye out for missing feathers (molt), and keep an eye on droppings. Be on lookout for worms and coccidiosis (presenting as pinkish or bloody stools).

Also keep an eye on . . . their eyes! Watch for runny eyes/nose, or other cold symptoms.

That's all I can think of. Could just be a weather change issue they will have to work out.

Anyone else with other ideas?

During Molt do they constantly preen? This is what I have been observing and they sit in the nest box looking comfy but no eggs.
roll.png

If they are eating, drinking, and otherwise acting normally, it's probably just due to the weather change. I had several who went through (are still going through, actually) a hard molt; you can most definitely see bare patches on them. The rest of my adults went through a "soft molt" and I cannot see any bare patches on them at all, but I can tell they are molting.

I've heard of feeding cayenne, but don't recall what it's good for.

You might consider adding yogurt as a treat every few days...they love it, and it's full of beneficial microorganisms. Also, I use Avia Charge 2000 in their drinking water; especially at molt time. It's a mineral supplement made with sea kelp.

If they sit in their nest boxes fluffed up and growly- and no eggs, they are likely broody. You will get no eggs until they give up trying to hatch eggs (there does not actually have to be anything under them to be broody).

Broody hens will leave the box a few times a day to eat & drink. poop a huge poop, then run back to their nest.

If you are feeding egg shells back to them, be sure to grind them up small enough that they no longer look like egg shells. If they ever figure out that egg shells or their contents are good to eat- they will break their own eggs and eat them. Also a reason not to find any eggs anymore. But usually if you have an egg eater- you will find a sticky mess in the nest box (whites mixed with the bedding), evidence of the bad habit.

Many hens will slow down in the laying or stop all together during the short days of winter. Some breeds do better than others. If you want eggs year round, consider lighting your coop to provide 12hrs daylight year round.
jess

Thanks mypicklebird. It could be 1 growley broodies girl and 3 molting birds and shortened days. I have 3 barred rock so they are suppose to be hardy for the winter and still lay...thats why I got them. Cayenne pepper I heard was good for egg production.

Back
Top Bottom