Runs....?

bbchickies

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 16, 2013
My dad and I are building our own coop and we are putting in a run ( the coop is for 4-6 chickens) and we are deciding on the size. I am 5' tall and age 11 and my dad is about 5' 8" or so and we could make a run that is 5' tall or 6' 4" tall. Which should we do?
hmm.png

My dad and I are building our own coop and we are putting in a run ( the coop is for 4-6 chickens) and we are deciding on the size. I am 5' tall and age 11 and my dad is about 5' 8" or so and we could make a run that is 5' tall or 6' 4" tall. Which should we do?
hmm.png
This is a tough question since you did not tell us your dads age.
LOL
Just kidding.
A taller roof will make it easier when you have to go inside to clean or get eggs. You need to concern your self with the floor space for each hen. If it is just a place to roost and lay eggs and you have a run you need less, Consider the type of coop first then figure the size, Take a look at the coop section and see how others have done it. Good luck Rich

LOL
Just kidding.
A taller roof will make it easier when you have to go inside to clean or get eggs. You need to concern your self with the floor space for each hen. If it is just a place to roost and lay eggs and you have a run you need less, Consider the type of coop first then figure the size, Take a look at the coop section and see how others have done it. Good luck Rich
Hello! I agree with Rich386, a taller roof would be good and enough floor space is essential. I have a roofless pen for my different chickens, but the problem is sometimes other birds get in and use the water tank, so I would recommend an enclosed, tall roof. Hope I helped a little!

LOL
Just kidding.
My dad says "never to speak of it".....
gig.gif

Thanks everyone! I totally agree. The 6' 4" would be easier.
big_smile.png
( I think it will also look better)

I think as long as you have the floor space covered then you have to look at do you want to be able to walk in or not. If you don't want/need to be able to walk in then I'd say raise the coop some and then make it say 4ft tall or go ahead with the walk in. If you raise it then it will be easier to clean if you can't walk in.

My dad saw what the posts were and said 2 things: first, he said he is more like 5' 10" and then he said that he's, " all of 27..." haha

Back
Top Bottom