Runt, duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CochinBrahmaLover, Nov 22, 2012.

1. So no, I don't have a runt duck. However I believe I've had 2 before. So I was wondering,
    Are runts very common in ducks? I've had, oh say, 20 ducks in my lifetime so far and have had 2 very small ducks (both of them were khaki campbells) that both died. The first one was a khaki campbell + 4 other KC's, and yes, there was an obvious growth difference- there was a very large one, a large, a medium, and one in between all of those. But then there was this one who grew like nothing in the time she was alive. I forget how old she was, but she just DID. NOT. GROW. And this year, we got 2 runners, 2 buff ducks, and 2 khaki campbells. Well, we were raising them, and the runners grew the same, the buffs were a bit fatter, and the 1 khaki campbell was fine but the other one grew little to nothing since we got her. Say for example, when we got her she was 5 lbs. In 2 months she grew to 6 lbs (I cant' weigh anything under a pound and this is what it seemed like, we got them as little ducklings) , whereas the other one (same size when bought) grew to 9 lbs in 2 months. Well the little runt-ling died, just like the last one. Which begs the question, are duck runts common? I've had probably 200 chickens soo far, and never seen a runt. So I find it odd, both that I've had so few ducks and 2 runts, and that they were the same breed...

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    A small number of people here on the forum have had tiny ducks, so they may be more common among ducks than chickens.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Hey Cochin!

I've seen a few cases of runt ducks on here but they aren't very common. Most of them ended up being "Micro" ducks and had little to no growth rates.

4. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

I've had a failure to thrive duck, Cochin. He was a Khaki Campbell. He did live for a couple of years, but just stayed like a 60% version.

5. Thanks for the replies (Marty and Kev, and Amiga) just was wonderin'

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by