Runt or sick

jeanette519

Hatching
Feb 28, 2015
Hi!! I'm a new member and am on my second year of raising baby chicks. My husband just brought home a a batch of chickens from TDX and so brought home a bantam chick from TSC that he was hoping would save. It is very small and is having a hard time keeping it's body up. I dont know if it is a runt or sick and dont know what to do with it. The chick is two days old and doesn't walk to it's feed/water...I have to put water bowl to its beak. Any suggestions on what I should do? I don't want he/she to die on me. I have tried putting starter feed with added water to soften it up and have put electrolytes in seperate water dish for chick to drink.

Last edited:
Hi :welcome

It could be either a runt or sick. I would keep it seperate from your others incase it has something contagious. You are doing all you can for it now with the electrolyte water and feed. Keep it warm. I would try to prepare yourself for the fact it may not make it though. Some just hatch weak and its nature way. Very sad but part of having chicks. Newly hatched do sleep and rest quite a bit so Inbetween you dipping its beak and tapping the food with your finger let it rest.

Good luck with your chick I hope it makes it :fl

Welcome to BYC. I would get SaveAChick vitamins and electrolytes, and mix them in the water. Feed her by dipping the beak several times an hour all day long, and make sure that the brooder temperature is 95 degrees F, then decrease the temperature by 5 degrees weekly. Sprinkle some chick crumbles on paper towel around it's feet so that it will learn to eat. Bantams can be weaker at first, and especially when shipped in the mail to feed stores. Watch for pasty butt and clean it off daily if needed.

Thank you for the advice. Sadly, the chick passed away. I didn't think it would make it but I was hoping I was wrong. Thanks again for the advice.

Sorry for your loss. Sadly it is common to lose some especially when they are shipped in the mail due to stress of extreme temperatures and not starting to drink fluids right away.

Back
Top Bottom