Runt worries...

nomoq

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
Elk Grove CA
Okay....So, I have taken the advice of many on here regarding my Brahma runt. Seperated her, tried scrambled eggs, yogurt, etc. She still BARELY eats, drinks a little, poops okay. She just doesn't grow!

Any other ideas?
Am I missing something?

Am I being selfish that I want SIX healthy egg layers, and not FIVE and a pet?

Beating my head against a wall.....

Jim

She might catch up. I had a runt too that I thought was going to be a *special* chicken, lol, but she eventually caught up to everyone else, just took her awhile.
smile.png

Give her some more time. I had a runt barred rock who was slow at everything. I suspect that she didnt start laying until she was almost a year old. However, she is now laying nice eggs for me. I have only been at this for a year but I have observed that like people, chickens come in all sizes and personalities. Some just take longer to grow than others. I will say that even though she is still the smallest hen, she is the most vocal, the most adept at hunting frogs and the quickest at stealing food from her sisters!

I have a buff Brahma who has always been the runt since s/he hatched. Slow to feather, smaller than everyone else. It is taking time but s/he is slowly catching up with the others. They are three months now and all of the others are fully feathered while this one still looks like an "awkward teenager". It eats fine, drinks fine and takes no guff from the others. I just wish it would hurry up and let me know if it is a boy or girl since I can tell on all of the other ones. If I could suggest one thing, I have had them on gamebird feed (starter) since they were a couple weeks old and the additional protien seems to help.

My Thor as a chick - easily half the size of the other chicks:

4810_thor223.jpg

Thor, full grown:

4810_endofapril_002.jpg

Every single runt I've had grew into a beautiful roo.
hide.gif

Last edited:
This is Grizzabella, our red runt frazzle. She is a year old, and our sweet survivor. She snuggles under her best friend, a Hamburg hen to keep warm during the winter. She inspires us to never give up. We don't mind that she doesn't lay eggs. Grizzy always brings a smile.

92434_grizzie.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I'm dealing with another runt now. I'm thinking roo sexed as a pullet. It's not feathered at all while all it's hatchmates are. It's healthy, eats and plays alot, so I'm not going to worry.

Back
Top Bottom