"runt"

MNmommy

Songster
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
central MN
I have 4 silkies that are now 9 days old and there is one black one that was smaller to begin with but now 9 days later it looks like it hasn't grown and the others are WAY bigger and more active. He/she eats and drinks but sleeps a little more that the others. I guess I just want to see if there is anything I should do for this one?? Can some just take their sweet ole time growing and will catch up or should I just expect this one to not make it?? What has been your experience?

here is a pic when I first got them runt is the second one in
IMG_0125.jpg

runt is the second one in here too. one week later

IMG_1130.jpg

I just want to do whatever I can to help him along??

Last edited:
One of my barred Rocks did that same thing, she feather out way slower too. Now at 10 weeks she has caught up to the rest and I can hardly tell her from the other BR. Your photo is awesome, good luck to you and your new chicks!

i have three chicks and one of them was hatched two days later to others...and he/she is slightly smaller...were the other two get to the food first the smaller ones just takes its time...he/she always wants to get under the mums feathers first...but all seem to be doing well, so im letting nature takes its course, and hopefully the chick will catch up

as long as its drinking and feeding and look ok...im sure it'l be fine

that pic is so cute

I agree. My runt is still smaller than my other chickens if you just look at her. When you pick her up you realize she's one of my heaviest chickens; it just took her longer to get there.
Make sure the others aren't keeping your runt from eating and drinking and give her time.

Back
Top Bottom